Masakhane Center is seeking passionate, motivated young people to join our education team! This is a hybrid internship where training and meetings take place online and interns have the option of facilitating online or in-person workshops for local youth. Intern training is extensive and covers workshop facilitation techniques and all of the sexuality topics we offer.
As an all-volunteer organization, this internship is unpaid. However, thanks to our wonderful donors, we are currently able to offer a $500 stipend for Black trans and non-binary folks. More stipend details below.
- Facilitate sexuality workshops for local youth.
- Create short educational videos about a variety of sexuality topics.
- Assist with social media planning and daily posting.
- Assist at conferences and health fairs, as needed.
- Assist in the occasional planning and execution of special events.
- This internship runs from January 11, 2022 to May 12, 2022.
- All interns must be available to work at least every Tuesday & Thursday from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm EST.
- Online training takes places from January 11th to February 10th.
- Interns working a hybrid schedule (i.e. online and in person), must be available to start working in person on February 22nd.
WE ARE SEEKING PEOPLE WHO CAN…
- Advocate for sex positive, pleasure focused education.
- Advocate for reproductive justice, including full abortion rights and the rights of young pregnant and parenting folks.
- Advocate for the rights of people marginalized for their sexual orientations, gender alignments and/or expressions.
- Travel throughout Newark (for folks applying to work in person).
- Use Office365 or able to learn how to use it.
- Be organized, reliable and creative.
- Work within a team and independently.
The stipend is specifically for Black trans and non-binary folks.
- Do I have to be a student in order to intern? No. Masakhane does not have any educational requirements for any of our internship programs.
- Can I still apply after the deadline? No applications are accepted after the December 9th deadline.
- Can I apply for a stipend if I am not a Black trans or non-binary person? No.
- How is the stipend distributed? One third of the stipend is distributed at the beginning of the internship, the second third is distributed halfway through, and the third is distributed at the end of the internship. Other arrangements can be made depending on the intern’s needs.
- When will I be informed if I am accepted as an intern/receiving a stipend? Interns are informed within 48 hours of their interview.
- Who will be my supervisor? All interns are directly supervised by our Executive Director, Stephanie Franklin. Some interns also work closely with different board members on projects.
What can I expect to get out of a Sexuality Educator Internship with Masakhane Center?
- Gain hands-on experience working with a nonprofit, community-based organization.
- Receive extensive training on all workshop topics offered by Masakhane, as well as facilitation, public speaking, leadership and general communication skills.
- The opportunity to lead and assist with workshops and major organizational projects.
- The ability to practice teamwork, collaboration, communication, and problem-solving skills that can be applied in future community work, academic environments and/or professional careers.
- Mentorship with experienced Sexuality Educators.
- Successful interns will receive a strong letter of recommendation and a certification of completion of our sexuality education training program.
HOW TO APPLY
The application deadline is December 9, 2021. You may apply by submitting an application via our website. Applicants are usually contacted within 48 hours. Please do not make follow-up calls.