An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT Highway Design Co-op has the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the state. Duties include going on site visits, working on exciting and significant projects, and delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on transportation in the Commonwealth. The co-op also provides an opportunity to network with professionals across the state.
The Co-op program typically runs six months and students must commit to a full-time schedule for the co-op period.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Co-Ops in Highway Design will assist MassDOT engineers in the following areas:
- Preparing plans, designs, specifications, and cost estimates for highway and bridge construction or maintenance projects.
- Providing data for the preparation of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
- Performing calculations such as quantity of materials and cost estimates.
- Analyzing changes in scope of work during design and/or construction of projects.
- Conducting field investigations in order to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental, or traffic problems.
- Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters, or general reports; collecting and correlating engineering data; maintaining records; and operating technical equipment.
- Geocode- pull, redact, and analyze crash data to assist with evaluation of high crash locations and assist with performance of Road Safety Audits.
• Familiarity with AutoCAD.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office with strong Excel skills.
• Excellent verbal and analytical skills.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Alaina Seitz, Human Resources Specialist, at email@example.com.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- This co-op position would run from January 2021 through May 2021 for 37.5 hours/week.
- At the time of hire, applicants must have completed 2 years of a bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in a degree program for the Spring 2021 semester.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Rita Dinunzio – (857) 368‐8738.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.