An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
MassDOT’s goal is to provide employees with greater flexibility in when and where they work while continuing to execute MassDOT’s Safety and Customer Service Mission. Furthermore, MassDOT will be doing our part to lead by example in reducing congestion and greenhouse gas emissions by minimizing overall workplace commuting travel during peak hours through telework and schedule flexibility.
This position has a high degree of remote flexibility once established in the role. The selected candidate will be expected to follow a hybrid work model that consists of both in-office and work from home days, as needed.
Engineering co-ops assigned to the Ratings and Overloads Unit of the Highway Division – Bridge Section may assist MassDOT engineers in the following areas:
- Performing calculations related to the development of applied loads, section properties, and capacities related to bridge structures.
- Assist with the development of analysis models of bridge structures to perform load ratings.
- Assist with the review and performance of overload permit vehicle route analysis using a variety of software.
- Assist with the review of load rating reports and calculations developed by consultants and MassDOT personnel.
- Excellent analytical skills are essential.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Excel, and MathCAD is strongly preferred.
- Basic knowledge of statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials.
- Graduate students enrolled in a related program such as Civil (Structural) or Mechanical Engineering, or Bachelor students who have completed a minimum of three years of study.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Must be enrolled in a full-time college program for the Spring 2022.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
· For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
· For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
· For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption