An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
MassDOT’s goal is to provide employees with greater flexibility in when and where they work while continuing to execute MassDOT’s Safety and Customer Service Mission. Furthermore, MassDOT will be doing our part to lead by example in reducing congestion and greenhouse gas emissions by minimizing overall workplace commuting travel during peak hours through telework and schedule flexibility.
This position has a high degree of remote flexibility once established in the role. The selected candidate will be expected to follow a hybrid work model that consists of both in-office and work from home days, as needed.
The MassDOT Rail and Transit Division oversees the Commonwealth’s 15 Regional Transit Authorities, MassDOT’s freight and passenger rail program, oversees approx. 300 miles of rail, as well as awards state grants for business improvement projects and federal funding for At-grade crossing improvements.
This co-op would work closely with Rail Assistant Project Managers and Rail Project Manager on projects across the state.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in overseeing and managing maintenance work done on MassDOT owned or controlled property.
- Assist in managing the project development process, contracting, agreements, oversight, implementation, and evaluation of railroad construction projects being or to be carried out on MassDOT Rail owned or controlled property.
- Assist in budgetary, performance, and quality goals for all work to be performed in conformance with good railroad practice and applicable state & federal requirements, in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Travel statewide, as required, to perform required work activities.
- Draft materials and communications.
- Be able to pass and obtain Roadway Worker Protection Card.
- Must have good communications skills.
- Review construction and service estimates and/or invoices for material, equipment, and supplies.
- Analyze changes in scope of work during design and/or construction projects.
- Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters, or general reports; collecting and correlating engineering data; maintaining records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communications skills, including group settings and in public meetings.
- Proficient in the entire Microsoft Office suite and in data management.
- Undergrad or Graduate students enrolled in a related program such as Construction Management, Transportation Planning, Environmental Studies, Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering.
- Understanding of OSHA requirements and compliance.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
- Must be enrolled in a full time bachelor’s or graduate program for Spring 2022.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
· For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
· For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
· For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.