An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT is responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating transportation policies and projects for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and to efficiently plan, design, construct, and maintain a safe statewide transportation system which effectively meets the transportation needs of the Commonwealth.
MassDOT’s divisions include: Highway, Aeronautics, Registry of Motor Vehicles, Rail & Transit, and Planning & Enterprise Services. There are approximately 3,600 employees across the organization.
The Research and Materials Co-op will work within MassDOT’s Research and Materials Lab (R&M), assisting engineers on various testing, projects, and related data analysis. An ideal candidate for this position would have an interest in concrete, asphalt, and materials testing in relation to civil engineering work. This position is a great way to gain hands on application and knowledge of materials theory and civil concepts learned in coursework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The R&M intern will familiarize themself with different processes such as the MassDOT Materials Sampling and Testing flow and NNETTCP Transportation Construction Quality Assurance Reference Manual.
- Perform literature review of various topics as requested by the Supervisor and provides the findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Assist in the maintenance of LIMMS (Laboratory Information Management System) including samples, equipment, and personnel documentation.
- Performs testing for materials such as concrete, hot mix asphalt, soils, and aggregate.
- Demonstrate good cleaning and maintenance practices and assist the lab supervisors with other duties as required.
- Visit the Lawrence Block farm to help with field measurements and recording the values.
- Other field visits may include touring precast concrete fabrication plant, visiting Hot Mix Asphalt placement location, or going out to other mock-up projects.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- At the time of hire, applicants must have completed 2 years of a bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in a degree program for the Spring 2022 semester.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
· For questions regarding the job posting, email email@example.com.
· For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
· For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.