Role and Responsibilities
Improve the overall health situation of the target population, implementing quality health services and contributing to the achievement of proposal objectives within the planned timescale and budget, for the areas of responsibility within the health project. Build the capacity of the local health team by providing appropriate and relevant supervision, training and technical support; contributing to monitoring and reporting on project progress; and liaising with community leaders and health officials as requested.
Medair’s goal in Renk County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable displaced and host populations through the provision of emergency WASH, healthcare, and nutrition services. To accomplish this, Medair operates two primary health care clinics in Abayok and Wunthou that primarily serve internally displaced persons including nutrition services and reproductive health services. The reproductive health units provide services towards implementation of the Minimal Initial Service package —including antenatal care according to national guidelines, skilled delivery (24 hours in Abayok), postnatal care and family planning services.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position is based in Renk, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the implementation and management of the Reproductive Health units in line with the activity plan and time frame and any applicable guidelines and standards. Conduct daily field trips to the clinics.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the relevant field managers.
- Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements and deadlines.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Occasionally, provide over-the phone, after-hours midwifery advice to facilitate referral to higher-level care for caesarean and obstetric emergencies where necessary.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering (within budgetary constraints) of all necessary medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health facilities and activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored and distributed correctly.
- Raise the overall standard of the technical aspects of reproductive health services.
- Provide technical support to Reproductive Health staff through on the job, and group training.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
- Manage and oversee the assigned health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals.
- Facilitate regular team meetings with the assigned health team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Ensure the assigned health team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Work with the relevant field project managers to plan, construct and manage health budgets.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned health team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification midwifery / nursing / medical professional experience.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols desirable.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks. Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions. Passionate about serving vulnerable communities.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.