ASSOCIATE SPECIALIST (P-1), Finance Co-op – Audit and Assurance Services
Finance at Merck & Co., Inc. is committed to developing future Finance leaders with an entry point through its global internal audit department. Corporate Audit and Assurance Services’ (MCAAS) purpose is to Create Confidence in a Changing World so that the company is empowered to innovate and fulfill its purpose of Inventing for Life.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where the Company has codified its legacy for over a century. The Company’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. Finance plays an integral role in supporting the men and women who research and produce our products every day.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Program Overview & Responsibilities
By joining the Merck & Co., Inc. co-op program, individuals will gain an understanding how the Company is fulfilling its purpose of inventing medicines to improve people’s lives. The co-op will allow individuals to gain knowledge on products, healthcare systems, payors, regulatory and reputational risks while working intimately with our global business operations. In addition, individuals will use data analytics to gain insights into business practices and the execution of the company’s strategy; this includes a deeper knowledge of internal controls, business compliance and risk management. Individuals will be based in the global headquarters of the company in Kenilworth, NJ. Contingent upon circumstances in the region, this role may be executed virtually instead.
Co-op candidates will have the opportunity to gain exposure to a variety of experiences and functions within the Corporate Audit group. Through the program, individuals will work closely with the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Project Management Office (PMO) daily. Typical day-to-day activities may include:
· Analyzing and interpreting large data sets to drive decision making.
· Hands-on experience in the testing, revision, and oversight of both financial and compliance-related internal controls.
· Execution of quality assurance exercises to guarantee completeness and accuracy of vital
· Using post-audit outcome data, identifying forward-looking opportunities for improving business processes, and risk mitigation.
Opportunity to Innovate in a Changing World through:
· EXPERIMENTING – We challenge the way we work every day as our Senior Leaders are committed to continually evaluating new ways of working through ideation and experimentation. Individuals will be part of a culture where every experiment is taken as a lesson learned which is part of the innovative process.
· EMPOWERING – You will learn how to evaluate business operations, processes, and internal controls to effectively complete risk-based audits. Additionally, MCAAS acts as a trusted advisor, supporting the enterprise via advisory engagements. Individuals are empowered to develop their skill set through a wide breadth of engagements, across various business lines. This helps individuals to focus on what matters in a complex and evolving business environment.
· NETWORKING – We will empower you to work across the company developing and leveraging a network of relationships to achieve high level business insights. Individuals will have opportunities to attend lunch and learn presentations with senior leaders, participate in formal trainings, mentor programs and various activities with other colleagues across the organization.
· SHARING – We work to break down silos and share our knowledge to better connect people and data. Individuals will be challenged to critically problem solve, act as trusted advisors, and utilize data & analytic applications to provide business insights. FLDP participants will prepare and deliver presentations to both peers and leaders, sharing their successes and lessons learned.
· LEARNING – Join a culture where teaching & learning is a continuous journey, not a destination. We take pride in turning students into teachers and assisting in your personal and professional development through real time feedback, formal performance evaluations, on the job training, and assistance in independent learning.
This is a part-time position starting in July 2021. Co-ops are still enrolled as full-time students and are provided flexible scheduling during the academic calendar. Individuals in the co-op will start with two full weeks of training (80 hours). This training will provide insights to expansive business, industry, and audit knowledge. Additionally, the training will develop overall finance and business acumen, in addition to leadership skills and extensive networking opportunities. After the conclusion of the training, co-ops will have the ability to arrange a flexible schedule to ensure they can meet the time requirements of their class schedule.
Please make sure to apply to the position via the link on Handshake. If you would like to learn more about our group, please check out our website: https://merck.phenompro.com/us/en/audit-specialist
Currently a Sophomore enrolled in a BS in Accountancy or Finance, but all business majors may be considered.
· Dedication to teamwork
· Demonstrated leadership
· Passion and commitment to learning
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Ability to self-motivate and take responsibility for personal growth and development
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with client and business process owners as well as Finance colleagues
· Effective written and verbal communications skills
· Strong time management skills and the ability to work autonomously and within a team
· Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
· Demonstration of integrity within a professional work environment
· No travel required
· GPA of 3.3 or above
· Finance or Accounting major
No housing is provided for this position.