POSITION SUMMARY: The Group Leader is responsible for assisting the Site Supervisor in the day to day operations of the School Age Before or After Care program site for which he/she is hired. The Group Leader provides a high level of supervision for the children in his/her care and leads or assists with activities as directed by the Site Supervisor. The Group Leader works as part of a team to ensure that a safe and caring environment is provided for all children at all times.
- Ensure the safety of all children assigned to his/her group by following the supervision standards in the Code of Conduct and Licensing Requirements. Maintain constant head counts when transitioning between activities. Provide restroom supervision and ensure children wash their hands after using the rest room.
- Lead and support the implementation of program activities including running or participating in CATCH, Healthy U, helping with snack and providing homework support as assigned. Use resources available to deliver activities that meet the purpose and vision of the Y Program and according to assigned curriculum, including 30 minutes of CATCH activities each day.
- Follow YMCA protocols for dealing with First-Aid and emergency situations. Participate in monthly safety drills.
- Use positive group management techniques. Anticipate and deal with behavior problems in accordance with YMCA’s Discipline and Expulsion Policy.
- Build professional relationships with children, their families and school personnel.
- Represent the YMCA in a positive manner in all interactions, including participants and their families, and school personnel. Function as a positive role model and set a positive example through behavior.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary program environment by ensuring supplies, equipment and tables are cleaned before and after snack or activities. Assist with snack set up/clean up. Ensure children wash their hands before snack. Report any maintenance issues, or supply and equipment needs to the Site Supervisor.
- Promote Y Programs and Camps to families. Assist with planning and implementation of special events, including Annual Campaign.
- Attend all YMCA training and meetings as requested. Maintain certifications necessary for the position throughout the program.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
- High School Diploma, college credits/degree preferred.
- Basic understanding of youth development principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communication with all levels including staff, parents and school staff.
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative that adhere to the purpose, mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
- 1-3 year’s experience leading group activities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
- First-Aid, CPR and AED certification may be required.
- Must complete CARI Background Check, CHRI/Fingerprinting and provide proof of a Mantoux test within two weeks of hire.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.