Part-time Position, Philadelphia
About Mighty Writers (MW)
Mighty Writers is a nonprofit that teaches kids, ages 2 to 17, to think and write with clarity. Our free, neighborhood-based and online out-of-school writing programs have grown to serve 3,500 kids a year. We operate in Philadelphia, PA; Chester County, PA; Camden, NJ, Atlantic City, NJ, Newark, NJ, and Washington Heights, NY.
The MW Distribution Contractor is a contracted, entry-level position with opportunities for growth. The selected candidate will be fluent in reading, writing, speaking and listening in English, and will oversee assigned Mighty Writers weekly distribution events at any of our sites.
The Distribution Contractor supports operations, facilitates maintenance, supply management, and volunteer engagement. The position will be predominantly in-person at distribution sites. Successful applicants will have a valid driver’s license and car. This position reports to the Director of Distribution. Selected volunteers may be offered a contract to work with us in the future.
The MW Distribution Contractor will be responsible for aiding in maintaining clean and orderly storage and distribution of packed lunches, fresh produce, diapers, books, Mighty Fun Packs and/or other literacy materials.
The successful applicant for the position of Distribution Contractor will understand the value of MW’s distribution and operations systems integrity and will communicate relentlessly and engage positively with all MW internal and external constituents.
The Distribution Coordinator will be the on-site lead for the Mighty Lunch & Literacy Program, which includes:
• Providing a physical presence one day/week at distribution sites. (Note: lunch distribution currently runs 12-2pm. Schedule subject to change).
• Follow up-to-date safety protocols and best practices for health and safety,
• Ensure availability of safety materials (gloves, wipes, etc.) for all staff and volunteers,
• Meet food and resource deliveries,
• Lead joyful and respectful daily distributions of resources to community members, supporting volunteers on-site,
• Print and distribute educational materials related to coronavirus, social distancing, and kids’ writing activities, and
• Communicate regularly with our Director of Distribution and Operations Manager about all of the above via phone and/or email.
• Keep ongoing lists of all kids/families who visit the MW site,
• Collect all contact information for all site visitors, every day.
• Proof of complete Covid-19 vaccination or documentation of approved religious or medical exemption,
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills,
• Strong organizational, time management and computer skills,
• High School Diploma
• A passion for building and serving the community, especially in an urban setting.
• A strongly held philosophy of educational equity,
• A valid driver’s license, car, and a clean driving record.
MORE ABOUT MIGHTY WRITERS
Mighty Writers centers are enlightened, optimistic and nurturing havens where ideas are expressed freely and the culture of success thrives. Our free writing programs help kids (ages 7 to 17) develop the skills they need to think clearly, write with clarity, build confidence and succeed in life. In our centers, the city’s best creative minds—teachers, journalists, artists, writing professionals—teach and mentor local students. Everything we do is designed to help combat our region’s literacy crisis. More information can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.