Employees in this position are responsible for the hands-on maintenance of the grounds throughout the Horticulture sites operated by the Morris County Park Commission. Individuals should have an understanding of horticulture and grounds maintenance, possess the skills necessary to perform horticulture maintenance and grounds keeping tasks, and be proficient in the operation of a wide variety of landscape machinery. The employee will report to the (Assistant) Superintendent of Horticulture for the coordination of daily activities, attendance and other operational procedures.
• Physically work in all aspects of arboretum maintenance including soil preparation, planting & transplanting, mulching, watering, weeding, mowing, raking, sweeping & blowing, tree & brush cutting, chipping, trail maintenance, fence repair, and snow removal.
• Operate in a proficient manner push mowers, riding mowers, weed-whackers, backpack blowers, push blowers, garden ATV’s, tractors, pickup trucks, chainsaws, chippers, and other power equipment in accordance with MCPC safety protocols and regulatory standards.
• Utilize shovels, trowels, fan rakes, grading rakes, spades, digging forks, pick axes, brooms, hand shears, hand saws, loppers, pole pruners & pole saws, wheel barrows, fertilizer spreaders, garden carts, ladders, and other hand tools properly to complete assigned tasks.
• Maintain landscape machinery and make minor repairs; replenish fuel and oil, change oil and fuel filters, replace air filters and sparkplugs, sharpen mower blades and saw chains, change tires and tubes, grease fittings, etc. Identify equipment problems and report to supervisor.
• Perform minor carpentry repairs.
• Perform periodic safety checks of buildings, equipment and tools, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, emergency lights, etc.
• Maintain annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, turf, and grounds in a manner consistent with the horticulture standards of the Morris County Park Commission.
• Successfully perform the above functions and use said equipment independently without supervision.