Mountaire Farms is a vertically integrated agricultural company headquartered in Millsboro, DE. Over the last decade we have seen significant growth in our business and have established a reputable brand in over 80 countries worldwide. As part of this growth, we are searching for a dynamic and innovative new member to join our team as a Hatchery Intern. We are looking for an individual who values hard work, fresh ideas, and a commitment to Operational Excellence. At Mountaire we value trust, respect for each other, communication and sharing information. When our associates are successful, the company is successful.
To provide a meaningful work experience over a period of 8-13 weeks which is mutually beneficial to the Company and the successful intern candidate. Interns will be assigned a mentor and a project to be completed during their assignment. Interns will perform additional tasks; however, completion of the project will be the primary objective for the work experience.
Primary Project: Following direction from Hatchery Management. Conduct trials and studies that would benefit hatch and chick quality for the facility.
- Single Stage (SS) VS Multi Stage (MS) Incubation Study: conduct trials comparing different incubation from the two types of Chick Master Incubators to determine effects on hatch and 7-day mortality.
- Ensure proper placement of eggs in incubators, monitor SS/ MS Setters for 19 days of incubation, supervise transfer of eggs into hatchers.
- Perform hatch residue “breakout” to measure hatch performance.
- Record chicks at processing and verify correct placement to measure 7-day mortality.
- Collect all related data from each individual trials and submit final report and conclusion.
- Effect of lower hatcher temperatures on chick timing, hatch and chick quality: conduct trials comparing different set points in hatchers
- Record vent temperatures in hatchers and chick room
- Collect 7-day mortality
- Egg Candling / Hatch Residue Breakouts: Assist with current egg candling programs to provide data to breeders on fertility. Conduct hatch residue breakouts to evaluate effectiveness of incubation equipment and programs; recording data and compiling results.
- Operation Overview – work with each department / crew within the hatchery. Developing a complete understanding of the processes involved.
- Egg inventory / sets
- Set / Sanitation crew
- Processing crew
- Chick delivery
- Ability to quickly learn and understand the flow and process involved throughout the hatchery
- Efficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Follow directions from Hatchery management to complete needed trials / studies.
- Able to work fluctuating schedules to complete assigned tasks based upon production schedules in the hatchery.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a routine basis.
- Work in the hatchery environment, which can be hot and dusty.
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university.