POSITION: Data Engineering Intern, NA Integrated Analytics (2022 Winter or Summer – New York)
LOCATION: New York, NY
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Winter 2022 or Summer 2022
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 27, 2021
Our internship placements provide you with an excellent opportunity to practically apply your classroom and technical training in the reinsurance industry. While with our team, you’ll be: coached by experienced industry professionals, exposed to Munich Re leadership, challenged as a valuable team member and contributor doing meaningful work, and mentored to develop a solid foundation that will help position you as a future leader in the field.
Munich Re sees the use of data as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured. Integrated Analytics (IA) is a team leading this effort in the US and Canada for the North American Life business. With us, you’ll work closely with data scientists and other data engineers to build solutions that apply AI and machine learning techniques to data. As a start-up within a larger company we have the ability to build from scratch and employ modern computer science approaches. You’ll be immersed in real-time business problems while engaged in a collaborative approach to delivering world-class, innovative solutions. Our interns build solutions that are deployed in our production platforms.
To learn more about the North American Integrated Analytics team, please visit our site:
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Contribute to various on-the-go projects, related to the following areas of concentration (as needed and as fits with your focus):
- Building data pipelines based on modern IT architectures (batch & streaming) – configure extract/transform/load software and rules engines;
- Image recognition and natural language processing to capture data from unstructured data including image, text, and handwriting;
- Adapting and customizing machine learning and natural language processing to execute core data ingestion and transformation tasks (translations, validations, exception detection);
- Continuous integration / continuous deployment workflows and cloud deployment (DevOps);
- Support with the development of Python based applications and predictive models deployed as RESTful microservices;
- Expand the team’s use of cloud computing software by prototyping new software as service (SaaS) or platform as service (PaaS) capabilities;
- Participate in various research projects in the field of statistics, machine learning, and deep learning – collaborating with our greater team of scientists and engineers.
We’re looking for well-rounded individuals who are technically astute, have strong communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to build positive relationships with internal clients. We’re seeking energetic and collaborative professionals who are excited to join our winning team and show promise of becoming a future leader in the reinsurance space.
Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering (Computer, Software, Physics, Bioinformatics) – or equivalent program offering coursework working with large datasets;
- Experience working with any of the following: Python, Flask, SQL, API or web development, Hadoop and Distributed Computing;
- Familiarity developing software or analyzing large datasets;
- Solid communication skills; spoken & written, formal/informal presentation.
Note that this opportunity is open to current students who are returning to in-class studies upon the completion of the internship.
Munich Re’s track record as one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies is based on a solid capital foundation, in-depth risk expertise and market know-how. Our data, our technology, and our teams place us in a unique position to lead the change to redefine the nature and impact of reinsurance for the future. We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly.
We thank all candidates for their interest.