Munich Re is one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies with approximately 45,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe. As an industry leader, we provide a unique opportunity to be part of a global success story. We offer our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which champions high performance, professional development, innovation and passion, and rewards top performers with a highly competitive total rewards package.
Munich Re sees the development of new predictive services as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured. The Integrated Analytics team leads this effort in the US and Canada for the North American Life business. The role of the Senior DevOps Engineer is to develop, deploy, monitor and support data intensive applications for underwriting, audit, fraud detection and portfolio monitoring.
- Manage Kubernetes based production infrastructure on Azure supporting multiple machine learning and data focused services
- Implement CI/CD pipelines using Azure DevOps with a focus on testing, code quality, and security
- Production monitoring, alerting, and incident management
- Collaborate on projects with a team of data scientists and engineers
- Adapt and customize machine learning and natural language processing to execute core data ingestion and transformation tasks: translations, validations, exception detection. Work with both commercial software solutions and open source software
- Run distributed image recognition and natural language processing to capture data from unstructured data including image, text and handwriting
- Implement Python-based predictive models and applications as microservices using the Flask web framework
- Advocate for software engineering best practices, perform code review, and facilitate collaboration
- Evaluate statistical, machine learning and deep learning methods and technologies that could offer potential competitive advantages
- Collaborate with members of the Munich Re global community and external partners in client organization
First and foremost, the successful candidate will demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through his/her energy, enthusiasm and initiative.
In addition, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering, equivalent field or substantial coursework in relevant disciplines.
- 3-5 years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Sofware Engineer or Data Engineer.
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure, preferably using Azure.
- Expertise with Kubernetes (including network security policies, certificate management, RBAC, Helm), CI/CD automation, Docker, and microservice architecture.
- Experience with Python, Flask, SQL.
- The ability to learn quickly.
- A drive to make a difference.
- Thrive in a dynamic environment and successfully deliver on multiple assignments under deadlines.
- Insurance or financial services background is preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with big data technologies (ex. Apache Spark, Airflow, etc), natural language processing and deep learning frameworks (ex. Tensorflow, Pytorch) is an asset but not required.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Anisible, etc) is preferred.