At Cumberland Gap, the first great gateway to the west, follow the buffalo, the Native American, the longhunter, the pioneer… all traveled this route through the mountains into the wilderness of Kentucky. Modern day explorers and travelers stand in awe at this great gateway and the many miles of trails and scenic features found in the park.
Cumberland Gap National Historical park is actively recruiting a friendly, motivated, and dedicated individual to serve as our first ever Community Volunteer Ambassador (CVA). This individual will work directly with the park’s volunteer program manager to increase community interest, relationships, and involvement.
- Work directly with the park’s Volunteer Program Manager to increase community interest, relationships, and involvement Coordinate with local educational institutions, including schools and universities, to schedule volunteer opportunities
- Work with local youth groups to increase park involvement Assist in managing daily volunteer operations
- Develop, recruit for, and direct volunteer positions and projects Assist in volunteer program clerical duties
- Length: position is 50 weeks, 40 hours/week
- Start Date: Monday, February 7th 2022
- Living Allowance: Baseline allowance of $500/week* AmeriCorps Award: $6,345 (pre- tax)
- Application Due Date: 12/17/2021, or Until Filled Members will attend a week-long, nationwide, National Early Service Training
- Members will receive Public Land Corps Hiring Authority upon completion, which provide eligibility for career positions with land management agencies like the National Park Service
- Strong work ethic, with an outgoing and friendly attitude
- Must be comfortable speaking to and interacting with large groups High School diploma or GED required
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Be 18-30 years old (35 years old if you are a veteran)
- Be at least 21 years old if not licensed for three or more years Be willing and able to commit to a year of full-time work
- Be willing to occasionally work weekends and odd hours
- Submit proof of a Driver’s License and undergo a Federal Background Check, upon selection
- It is very likely that all participants will be required to be fully vaccinated to serve in the 2022 CVA Program. At a minimum participants will be required to get tested weekly if they are not vaccinated. Dates for implementing these requirements are not yet determined, but we expect that compliance will be necessary by the end of 2021
- Experience with public engagement and hosting events for diverse populations Local candidates within commuting distance of the park and with knowledge of local communities are preferred
- Strong public speaking skills and effective communication skills
Park housing is available to applicants located outside the local commuting area. Housing is dormitory style with individual bedrooms and shared kitchen and bathrooms. The building has central heat and air, TV, and laundry. No internet, cable, or phone is provided.