Everglades National Park protects an unparalleled landscape that provides important habitat for numerous rare and endangered species like the manatee, American crocodile, and the elusive Florida panther.
Everglades National Park is celebrating its 75th Anniversary in 2022, and is in the process of revitalizing the volunteer program to focus on bringing more local people and groups into the park to establish mutually beneficial relationships. The Community Volunteer Ambassador (CVA) will be responsible for working with park staff to identify long-term volunteer needs, and reaching out to the community to recruit volunteers and groups to volunteer on a reoccurring basis in the park. This will be an exciting opportunity to work at one of the crown jewels of the National Park Service, and experience the unique natural diversity of the Everglades next to the unique diversity of South Florida.
- Work with the park Volunteer Program Manager, and multiple divisions across all districts of the park to identify the needs for reoccurring volunteers
- Reach out to individuals and groups in the local community to recruit volunteer groups who will regularly come to help with specific projects
- Host volunteer workdays
- Go out in the field with groups to perform service projects Attend outreach events
- Form working relationships with partner agencies
- Length: position is 50 weeks, 40 hours/week
- Start Date: Monday, February 7th 2022
- Living Allowance: Baseline allowance of $500/week* AmeriCorps Award: $6,345 (pre- tax)
- Application Due Date: 12/17/2021, or Until Filled Members will attend a week-long, nationwide, National Early Service Training
- Members will receive Public Land Corps Hiring Authority upon completion
- Effective communication skills (both orally and written)
- Experience in working with other people/groups to accomplish goals Comfortable working outdoors as well as indoors (on a computer)
- Computer skills (email, internet, search engines, calendars, printers, MS Word, etc.) High School diploma or GED required
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Be 18-30 years old (35 years old if you are a veteran) Be willing and able to commit to a year of full-time work Be willing to occasionally work weekends and odd hours
- Submit proof of a Driver’s License and undergo a Federal Background Check, upon selection
- It is very likely that all participants will be required to be fully vaccinated to serve in the 2022 CVA Program. At a minimum participants will be required to get tested weekly if they are not vaccinated. Dates for implementing these requirements are not yet determined, but we expect that compliance will be necessary by the end of 2021
- Experience engaging the public
- Experience with software such as Excel, Adobe InDesign and PowerPoint Ideal applicant will have an outgoing and affable personality
- Local candidates within commuting distance of the park and with knowledge of local communities are preferred
- Experience with Adobe products and managing social media Strong public speaking skills and effective communication skills
Park housing is not available. Up to $65/week may be allocated to support rent in addition to $500 compensation.