The National STEM Honor Society
National Business, Marketing, Media, Film, Computer Science, Management, Entrepreneurial, Virtual Internship
Application Page: https://www.nstem.org/internships/
To learn more about NSTEM:
- Visit our website: www.nstem.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nstemhs
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nstemhs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/nstemhs
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-stem-honor-society
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHYDfYtB8Q
Duration Requirements: Whether the internship is for credit or not, NSTEM hires interns for a minimum of 240 hours with no maximum, and a 4 month (15 hour/week) minimum. We have had interns with us for as long as two years and are still part of the organization.
Currently we are only offering unpaid virtual internships.
The National STEM Honor Society (NSTEM) has been in the development stage for 3+ years and went live in February 2020 with the goal of opening thousands of Chapters across the nation! Our mission is to inspire innovation and recognize student excellence From K to Career in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. That’s right, we are going to be inspiring kids as young as Kindergarten to get involved and stay involved in STEM hopefully for the rest of their education and careers!
Please visit our website at www.nstem.org to really understand NSTEM and the benefits of starting an NSTEM chapter. Also, please take a look at the National STEM Honor Society social media platforms on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
What are the opportunities to get involved as an intern? What do interns do for the National STEM Honor Society? The National STEM Honor Society is an educational and business start-up organization that provides University interns with interesting, diverse, and stimulating work opportunities. At NSTEM, you are not limited to just one role, and we encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to explore a variety of roles, experiences, opportunities, and responsibilities. Supporting your specific interests and individual learning goals, you will engage in focused learning experiences working on projects essential to the day-to-day operation of the company where you will receive guidance and resources to apply knowledge and skills to your emerging professional lives. As an intern with National STEM Honor Society, you can perform a myriad of real and meaningful tasks.
Marketing: This is an opportunity to help, to develop and to execute a nation-wide marketing program through social media, email, website, LinkedIn, conference planning, meetings, etc. The company is at the beginning and it is a very exciting time to have a real impact on the company branding and culture. There will be high expectations of strategic thinking followed by targeted, results oriented action in a team environment.
- Film Production: the National STEM Honor Society will have its own YouTube Channel which requires the development of a constant flow of high quality, branded content. We need to create a brand that will be the backbone of the company for years to come. Creative film production and strategic film distribution are critical elements of the rapid growth of NSTEM.
- Social Media: campaigns creation and execution on a national, targeted basis. There are several specific target markets, each with very different characteristics in terms of sending customized, strategic messages employing the correct social media platforms for each target market.
- Email Campaigns: hyper targeted Email campaigns and the maintaining of highly categorized databases. This is an opportunity to really specifically target our customers and to have them start chapters with us and to stay with us over many decades to come.
Website Development: NSTEM is built on the WordPress platform, needing constant updates both coded and not. Our entire social media campaign will be aimed at sending targeted persons to different parts of our website for different desired results. The key result is to increase the number of chapters across the country in record time.
Merchandise: constantly researching and discovering new merchandise that matches our mission. Merch includes apparel, personalized banners, and recognition items (like pins, cords, certificates). Build relationships with e-commerce experts and fulfillment centers outside of NSTEM and research specific products to maximize profit. Promoting in creative ways our line of merchandise will be a key objective. How can we create video and other exciting content to show off our merchandise while bringing a real level of fun to all involved?
Business Development, Entrepreneurship, & Operations:
- Sales: learn how to create an effective sales program and close sales across the country. We believe that effective selling is helping people make decisions that are good for them. We believe that what we are selling is of great value to our kids and to the future of our country. If you choose to participate in this sector of the company, you will be trained by a professional to sell professionally and with empathy. We will be adding value to our chapters and people at every opportunity.
- Member Support: engage with different public audiences and learn how to effectively communicate with them. Our goal is to have new chapters and for those chapters to sign up for NSTEM year after year after year. In order to do this we need to focus on our existing chapters, to communicate with them often and to add value and satisfaction at every opportunity.
Management & Leadership: be given the opportunity to lead small and large teams on a myriad of projects. There is so much to be done in this exciting new venture that we will need leaders to understand our goals and to bring teams together to get results in a highly motivational and quality way.
Nonprofit Management/Grant Writing: NSTEM will be starting its sister nonprofit to secure grants from educational foundations. The program will be set up to support STEM education in schools all over the country. We’ll need help setting up this nonprofit and writing grants once our sister nonprofit is set up. Essentially it is completely entrepreneurial in developing the business. Think big picture and all the elements of a growing organization including but non limited to: creating a clear mission statement; creating a business plan; identifying and writing grants; keeping organized and clear records; creating a board of directors; establishing funding sources and partnerships; and creating marketing plans and PR.
Tech Team: We are looking for Innovators, problem solvers and techie geeks to join NSTEM’s Tech Team. Tech team is a group of NSTEM interns that have a knack for technology use and are adept at helping others. These interns are problem solvers and enjoy staying on top of new technologies and best practices that will drive the mission of NSTEM. Tech Team members are able to troubleshoot issues and serve as the front line for tech support issues such as logins and will aid with G-Suite apps for our global users. They are able to create helpful learning materials like tutorials and documentation. In addition they support new staff and interns as they onboard. Tech Team members are innovators and come up with ways to expand the knowledge and confidence of all NSTEM’s constituents. Since Tech Team members will be the go-tos for any tech-related questions, they should be naturally curious learners with strong communication skills and possess a willingness to help others. Skills that will be developed include but are not limited to the following: customer service, tech support, Salesforce, G-Suite, communication, digital marketing, change management, and user experience such as web design.
Human Resources: Our team specialists are responsible for recruiting, screening, interviewing and placing team members into teams. They oversee team members and ensure they are being challenged, meeting expectations, enjoying their internships and not overwhelmed. They become specialists in their duties, consult with executives on strategic planning, and act as the constant link between our management team including Interns Managers and Project Managers. They manage our entire presence in the virtual world including all the recruiting platforms we have. They will be assigned some new roles in the future: planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices; maintain the work structure by updating job info; establishing a refined recruiting and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; recommending changes; and preparing interns for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
Accredited Internship: NSTEM will work with colleges and universities to provide an experience that is directly related to desired learning outcomes and will complete all necessary paperwork. NSTEM provides this accredited opportunity by supporting interns in meeting program requirements and agrees to provide written documentation of work performed, recommendations, and evaluations for interns (according to performance standards). In order to offer an internship that complies with federal labor laws, NSTEM adheres to the following conditions:
- The intern clearly understands that there is no expectation of compensation, this is an unpaid internship opportunity
- NSTEM internships provide training similar to that given in an educational environment
- This internship can be tied to intern’s formal education programs by the receipt of academic credit
- NSTEM internships accommodate intern’s academic commitments and provide significant educational benefits
- The duration of this internship provides beneficial learning for a specified amount of time
- Intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees
- Internships are conducted without entitlement to a paid job at the conclusion of the internship
Volunteer Internship: Additionally, there is a “Volunteer Internship” option in addition to our official internship for academic credit. If an individual is interested in interning with NSTEM but is not tied to formal education, the internship will be classified as a “Volunteer Internship.” This option is offered for individuals who are not interested in receiving academic credit but rather the experience at NSTEM.
Intern Goals & Learning Objectives: An intern working for the National STEM Honor Society can expect to meet their academic and learning goals, career exploration, and industry knowledge led by a committed staff providing an experience to meet them:
- Increase knowledge of the industry
- Grow leadership skills and learning to manage large projects
- Gain experience in adapting to changing roles and environments
- Conduct research and practice analytical/quantitative skills
- Assertively engage at work, conduct research effectively, write and present professionally, and make business decisions
- Understand and implement the roles and responsibilities of Project Managers, which include:
- Track team members’ schedules, tasks, needs, and interests
- Gain proficiency with tools such as G Suite, Trello, SmartSheets
- Provide a constant flow of work for team members
- Establish and use effective communication channels with team members
- Treat team members & other managers with kindness, understanding and respect
- Organize project materials to achieve outcomes efficiently
- Learn to ramp up quickly on new projects
- Lead by example, which means rolling up your sleeves and diving into the project!
NSTEM’s Three Areas of Focus:
- Enroll NSTEM Chapters across the nation as quickly as possible by reaching out to educators, education departments and synergistic organizations,
- Attract corporate sponsors and foundation grants to provide funding to various NSTEM chapters,
- Reach out and attract strategic partners and advisory council members.
Supervision & Mentoring: All interns working for NSTEM will be mentored and supervised by our staff. Directors and Intern/Project Managers offer diverse educational backgrounds and expertise within their respective fields. Staff members provide opportunities for interns to work on projects that align with their learning goals with evaluation and constructive feedback along the way. NSTEM believes that successful internships go hand in hand with enjoyable internships. Staff will personally check-in with you throughout your internship experience and make adjustments as necessary in order to ensure that you achieve your internship goals. Our team is constantly available for interns that work in the office as well as those that work virtually. Staff works with the requirements of colleges and universities in order to provide written feedback according to their specific policies. We work tirelessly to ensure all of our interns get the attention they need in pursuant to their internship goals. Interns also have the opportunity to learn from each other as there is much collaboration between both local and remote interns.
Being a part of the National STEM Honor Society expansion is an outstanding opportunity to grow your business, entrepreneurship, film production, social media, marketing, sales, service, and outreach capabilities while contributing to a team with the deep purpose of inspiring more STEM into the lives of our students, educators, sponsors, partners and advisory council members. Interns are given the opportunity to make strategic decisions and practice active learning and reflective thinking. They work in diverse teams with other interns, either in the office or through virtual connections. Because of the cooperative nature of NSTEM’s projects, interns are encouraged to form continuing networking relationships with each other. Team building is supported in order to set interns up to thrive in a collaborative environment. After interning at NSTEM, interns have valuable and applicable skills for finding meaningful and productive environmental work gaining valuable work experience in the process.
Application Page: https://www.nstem.org/internships/
To learn more about NSTEM: