About the Organization
Nationalities Service Center (NSC) serves more than 5,000 immigrants and refugees each year from over 110 countries. We provide comprehensive services in immigration law matters, community transition and integration, access to health and wellness, language access and proficiency, and job readiness training for immigrants and refugees. NSC’s mission is to welcome and empower immigrants to thrive in our communities and pursue a just future. Our vision is that all immigrants achieve a life of safety and stability, sustainable opportunities, and meaningful community connections.
The Academic Instructor will be responsible for ESL curriculum development and educational support for NSC’s Family Literacy Program funded by the William Penn Foundation. This program is designed to serve families with Limited English Proficiency and with children ages 8 and under. The primary goal of the Academic Instructor is to enhance English language of participants in order to prepare them to navigate the education system in the United States.
- Create and provide ESL instruction for pre-literate and literate clients in-person and remotely
- Design literacy activities for caregivers and children to do together at home
- Incorporate lessons on effective parenting strategies
- Incorporate lessons on navigating and understanding the American education system such as topics on attending parent teacher conferences and reading report cards as needed
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule as class times are subject to student availability
- Willingness to travel to the Northeast and South Philadelphia
- Maintain attendance and participation records of students
- Attend weekly team meetings
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Collaborate with other team members
- Perform other duties as assigned by Program Coordinator
- Outreach and awareness raising through participation in outside events and distribution of materials, as needed.
- Adheres to NSC’s security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
- Attends relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of health and wellness and survivor services’ departmental goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Strong ability to adapt to the use of computer programming and digital learning platforms in order to deliver class curriculum in a virtual environment
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple tasks by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to develop and adapt curriculum to meet the needs of students academic levels
- Understanding of NRS levels scores in order to implement programming
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups.
- Adheres to all NSC policies and procedures.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
Minimum Experience: 1-2 years’ experience teaching
Minimum Education: 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
Language: Any knowledge of Arabic, Pashto/Dari or Swahili will be useful but is not required
This is a part-time position at 26 hours per week with no benefits included. The compensation is $20/hour.
How to Apply
NSC’s staff is comprised of individuals with diverse professional and lived experiences, fluency in multiple languages, and a deep knowledge of and commitment to the immigrant communities we serve. We value the diversity of our staff and highly encourage immigrants and persons of color to apply. In your cover letter, please address how your unique experiences and background will contribute to the mission of NSC.
To Apply, please use the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=27e48a4b-a610-4fda-9822-2ed5e4765278&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter
NSC is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nor any other basis protected under applicable law