Post Doctoral Scientist Yr 1-3- Center for Microbial Pathogenesis
The Center for Microbial Pathogenesis within the Abigail Wexner Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to study the structure/function of nucleoprotein complexes within bacterial biofilms as it relates to the pathogenesis of disease. To be considered, the candidate must have a Ph.D. in bacterial molecular biology, microbiology, immunology or biochemistry. Experience in bacterial molecular biology is required. Applicants with strong backgrounds in nucleoprotein molecular biology and biochemistry are encouraged to apply. The Postdoctoral Scientist will conduct these investigations as part of a funded grant from the NIH/NIDCD, with the goal of becoming independent in his/her research effort. The Postdoctoral Scientist will also be responsible for the supervision of technicians and student trainees and ultimately procurement of external research funding.
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
What Will You Be Doing?
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated peer-reviewed publication record
- Experience in preparation of abstracts and scientific presentations
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Experience in molecular cloning and generation of bacterial mutants
- Working knowledge of bacterial regulation and hands-on experience in the study of gene and protein expression
- Bacterial & eukaryotic DNA, RNA and protein isolation
- Experience with nucleoprotein interactions and or nucleoprotein induced structures
- Experience with animal models of disease
- Primary cell culture
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy
- Proficiency in immunological assessments (i.e. ELISA, flow cytometry)
- Ability to self-manage time to be productive independently as well as a part of the laboratory team
- Must be able to occasionally work after hours and/or weekends for experiments.
What Are We Looking For?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess these minimum qualifications and experience:
- MD, Ph.D, Pharm.D., or equivalent degree.
- Four or more years of experience as Post Doc in a highly related scientific research field.
- Necessary technical skills in the appropriate area of research.
- Ability to do technical writing, and good communication skills.
Your Benefits, Your Wellness:
- As an employer, Nationwide Children’s recognizes the importance of the benefits we offer. We also recognize the importance of balancing your work and personal needs. Our benefits and Employee Wellness package is designed to:
- Empower you to be a conscientious health care consumer through educational and wellness activities
- Establish a work environment that promotes health and well-being
- Support your financial protection and security in retirement
- Most of our positions are benefits’ eligible from day
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- 25% Designing and developing protocols
- 25% Performing research work
- 25% Recording and analyzing data generated by research study
- 10% Preparing scientific and technical papers
- 03% Liaison with OSU researchers
- 02% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
- 100% Kneeling / reaching100% Finger dexterity100% Talking / hearing / seeing 33% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload.
The workload will be heavy but manageable most of the time. Pressure may arise in the face of deadlines associated research and manuscript writing.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.