Post Doctoral Scientist- Center for Viral Gene Therapy
Full Time; Benefits Eligible
Multiple Postdoctoral Fellow Positions (MD and/or PhD) are Available
To participate in focused research investigations on these topics:
- Viral gene therapy
- Motor neuron biology
- Human copper transport
- Copper and cancer
Stephen G. Kaler MD
Center for Gene Therapy
Abigail Wexner Research Institute
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Columbus, OH, United States
The Kaler Laboratory is committed to dissecting mechanisms and pathophysiology of copper transport and inherited neurometabolic disorders and using the knowledge to improve health through rational remedies, including gene therapy. Patients and families affected by these conditions provide the impetus for scientific inquiry in the Laboratory.
In addition to molecular genetics, the Laboratory employs model organisms (yeast, mouse, zebrafish), cell biological and biochemical approaches, and conducts clinical protocols. Adeno-associated virus (AAV)-mediated gene therapy for Menkes disease, choroid plexus–targeted gene therapy for Alpha-mannosidosis, studies of motor neuron degeneration mediated by p97/valosin-containing protein (p97/VCP), mechanisms underlying other genetic disorders of copper transport, and the role(s) of copper in certain malignancies represent our diverse current directions.
We are seeking highly motivated Postdoctoral Researchers who are clever, energetic, have strong communication and interpersonal skills, and are interested in clinical/translational applications. Persons with broad experience in molecular and cellular biology, tissue culture, mouse husbandry and injection/dissection, zebrafish modeling of disease, or with clinical training (e.g., MD) are preferred.
With careful mentorship, you will become responsible for leading independent projects that address the Laboratory’s overarching aims and that align with your career goals. These positions include, but are not restricted to: performing research experiments, maintaining records of experiments, preparing laboratory reports, analyzing data, preparing papers and grant applications, and attending/presenting at national and international meetings.
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 13,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
What Will You Be Doing?
- The research training will be broad-based within the realm of molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, and gene therapy. With guidance from the PI, the incumbent will design experiments and develop protocols required to conduct productive research. After the study has been designed, the incumbent will perform the research work in accordance with the protocol.
- The incumbent will help to train and supervise graduate students and technical support staff in performing specific techniques essential to carrying out the research program.
- The incumbent will record and analyze data generated by the research study, and help to plan future research endeavors.
- The incumbent will prepare scientific and technical papers from the results of the research work and publish papers in appropriate refereed scientific journals. The incumbent will present his/her findings at local (e.g., CRI Annual Scientific Retreat and/or the Center for Clinical and Translational Science at Ohio State University Medical Center), as well as national and international research forums.
- When appropriate, the incumbent will collaborate with other ongoing research efforts either within CRI or at The Ohio State University.
- This is considered a training position; therefore, the Research Institute will allow Post-Doctoral training for up to five years.
- Works toward research independence.
- Prepares to submit proposals to and obtain funding from external granting agencies.
What Are We Looking For?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess these minimum qualifications and experience:
- MD, Ph.D, Pharm.D., or equivalent degree.
- Necessary technical skills in the appropriate area of research.
- Ability to do technical writing, and good communication skills.
Your Benefits, Your Wellness:
- As an employer, Nationwide Children’s recognizes the importance of the benefits we offer. We also recognize the importance of balancing your work and personal needs. Our benefits and Employee Wellness package is designed to:
- Empower you to be a conscientious health care consumer through educational and wellness activities
- Establish a work environment that promotes health and well-being
- Support your financial protection and security in retirement
- Most of our positions are benefits’ eligible from day 1.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- 25% Designing and developing protocols
- 25% Performing research work
- 25% Recording and analyzing data generated by research study
- 10% Preparing scientific and technical papers
- 03% Liaison with OSU researchers
- 02% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
- 100% Kneeling / reaching 100% Finger dexterity 100% Talking / hearing / seeing 33% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload. The workload will be heavy but manageable most of the time. Pressure may arise in the face of deadlines associated research and manuscript writing.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.