The Naval Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is seeking a motivated individual to perform neutronics analysis supporting validation and deployment of state-of-the-art reactor physics analysis software. The individual will develop new analytical approaches for use on modern high-performance computing platforms with the goal of improving the accuracy and efficiency of calculations supporting nuclear design, operations, and criticality safety. Data mining of NNL benchmark experiments will be leveraged to identify future areas of development. The team is committed to driving reactor physics technology by providing strong validation, analysis procedures, and benchmarks for NNL reactor physics solvers.
Work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing modeling and analysis with modern Monte Carlo and deterministic transport solvers
- Developing new approaches to analysis to improve calculational accuracy and efficiency
- Verification and Validation (V&V) of nuclear engineering design computer programs
- Engineering support of software development
- Data mining and analysis
- PhD in nuclear engineering or science related field from an accredited college or university
- PhD in Nuclear Engineering or Engineering Physics.
- Experience performing neutronics analysis using modern reactor physics solvers.
- Practical application of diffusion theory, discrete ordinates methods, Monte Carlo, and/or statistical analysis to solve nuclear engineering problems.
- Demonstrated scripting and/or programming skills.
- Practical application of data mining and analysis.