The Naval Nuclear Laboratory is hiring a Radiological Controls Technician (RCT) to work at our NPTU-Charleston Moored Training Ship (MTS) site in beautiful Goose Creek, SC!
Are you looking for a new opportunity with a company that is just as employee focused as it is on its customer and consistently awarded for both? Does having work-life balance and great benefits excite you? If so, you’re in luck!
As an RCT, you’ll perform duties that multiple organizations perform at shipyards and that make the day very eventful. The RCT is responsible for moving all radioactive material on site using a computer system, releasing radioactive material, counting (water and solid samples) to release systems, perform personnel decontamination of personnel wetted, qualify as mixed waste handler, qualify as asbestos worker, qualify to wear a respirator, perform environmental samples (water/sediment, storm drains, crabs, oysters, and air monitoring), pack radioactive material for disposal, perform surveys to ship radioactive material, among other key responsibilities.
More about the job:
*This job requires personnel to work a rotating shift, being we are manned 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, including holidays which additional pay benefits are given.
*This job will require an individual to attend Radiological Controls Technician Qualification School (RCTQS) at Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY), if not already qualified. This RCTQS school will be five months and all expenses (salary, lodging, rental car, food expenses, and travel expenses) will be provided by the company.
*This job requires you to commit to four years in this position before you can transfer to another department within the company based on expense to get you qualified.
Required Skills *
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or
- Associate’s degree in a related field, Journeyman’s Papers, vocational certificate, or successful completion of RCTQS AND a minimum of three years of relevant experience; or
- HS Diploma with a minimum of five years of related experience AND qualification as a Naval Nuclear Propulsion Operator (or commercial nuclear equivalent); or
- HS diploma with a minimum of seven years relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or
- Associate’s degree in a related field, Journeyman’s Papers, vocational certificate, or successful completion of RCTQS AND a minimum of six years of relevant experience; or
- HS Diploma with a minimum of seven years of related experience AND qualification as a Naval Nuclear Propulsion Operator (or commercial nuclear equivalent); or
- HS diploma with a minimum of ten years relevant experience
- Radiological Controls Technician Qualification School (RCTQS) qualified
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to train and coach a team
- Strong algebraic skills
- Ability to keep a positive environment in work groups and work centers