The Senior Benefits Specialist is responsible for the planning and administration of all leave and benefit programs at New England Biolabs (NEB). The successful candidate will provide excellent support to employees and foster employees understanding of our benefits, leaves and wellness programs. This role continuously identifies enhancements to our benefit programs and maintains the accuracy and integrity of the HRIS system.
- Responsible for administering all benefit, wellness and leave programs including health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care, flexible spending plan, EAP, worker’s compensation, FMLA, MA Paid Family Medical Leave, etc.
- Maintain the accuracy and integrity of HRIS records, including benefits, leave of absences and paid time off records; compliant with electronic recordkeeping.
- Coordinate annual open enrollment, wellness programs and other benefit projects as needed.
- Provide support to employees and managers regarding benefits. Develop employee communication tools to enhance understanding of the company’s benefits.
- Lead the new employee orientation process ensuring a smooth transition from the recruiting team. Handle offboarding activities, including scheduling exit interviews and preparing benefit separation notices.
- Serve as primary contact with insurance carriers ensuring adequate service is provided.
- Participate in benefit and wellness surveys. Analyze results and make recommendations for improvements.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Federal and State regulations and reporting requirements related to benefit administration.
- Maintain and update the HR intranet pages and HRIS wellness pages.
- Administer all leave of absence requests and disability paperwork from an employee’s initial notice of need for leave to the return to work.
- Effectively interpret leave laws and provide guidance to employees and managers.
- Maintain highly confidential employee personal health information and files.
- Administer NEB’s tuition reimbursement program.
- Complete all paperwork and tracking for unemployment claims.
- Responsible for annual EEO and VETs reporting.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related field, minimum five years of employee benefits administration experience.
- A thorough knowledge of benefit plan designs; self-insured policies a plus.
- Knowledge of employment benefit and leave laws (ACA, COBRA, HIPAA, Section 125, Medicare, MAPFML, FMLA, ADA and workers compensation), including HR best practices, and recordkeeping compliance.
- Have excellent organization and time management skills and ability to coordinate several projects at once.
- Consistent attention to detail and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience with an HRIS system; knowledge of Workday a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and approachable demeanor.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on new benefit programs.
- Capable of maintaining confidentiality and professionally handles sensitive situations.