General Unit Description: The Legal Department of New Jersey’s lead energy regulator, the Board of Public Utilities, is looking for a law clerk for Summer 2021. The NJBPU is leading the effort to implement Governor Murphy’s ambitious goals of having a 100% clean energy grid by 2050, and the person selected for this position will work on cutting-edge legal issues related to electric vehicles, offshore wind, microgrids, as well as traditional public utility work.
The appropriate candidate will work as part of cross-disciplinary teams to solve some of the most complex and impactful legal issues in New Jersey government, while ensuring that electricity, gas and water rates remain fair to consumers and equitable to all New Jersey citizens. Law clerks must be excellent writers, work well as part of an integrated team, make recommendations on the impact of proposed or existing legislation, and complete other tasks as assigned.
Legal Department Law Clerk:
What you will do:
· Reports to the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel at the NJBPU and will work day to day with the clean energy team on assigned tasks.
· Assist in legal drafting and research of orders, rulemakings, and policy documents.
· Participate in internal and stakeholder meetings.
What you will learn:
· Gain insight into New Jersey laws and policies affecting clean energy deployment.
· Leave with at least one writing sample.
· Understand practice before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.
What we’d like to see:
· Strong legal research, writing and editing skills.
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet project deadlines.
· Ability to effectively work in teams and independently.
· Proficiency in MS Office programs, such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word.