Paterson Community Schools Corps (PCSC), New Jersey Community Development Corporation’s AmeriCorps Program, seeks candidates with a passion for community development, education and youth development. PCSC Members display a desire to serve students and families in low-income, urban, community-based schools and teen centers, while gaining valuable life and professional experience.
The New Jersey Community Development Corporation (NJCDC) is a non-profit community development and social service agency committed to creating opportunities to transform lives in youth and families. The mission of PCSC is to eliminate barriers to academic achievement and provide new opportunities to transform the lives of Paterson youth and families. Paterson Community Schools Corps (PCSC) AmeriCorps Members serve in local schools and teen centers, as mentors, tutors and leaders in the schools and community. Members provide students with academic support, social and emotional development programming, and family engagement events. Members also enhance existing services, including after school programs and school wide events.
PCSC Member Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide individualized instructional and behavioral support to students, including one on one and small group student sessions
· Coordinate with classroom teachers to determine at-risk students requiring additional assistance such as math and English intervention, homework, classwork, personal development, etc.
· Organize and lead daily after-school programming for students, including homework help, clubs, field trips, service learning projects, and extracurricular activities
· Encourage students’ academic and personal goal achievement including improved academic outcomes, attendance and behavior
· Facilitate academic and youth developmental workshops utilizing community partners and agency resources
· Manage a comprehensive case management system for a caseload of 30 students requiring additional support in areas such as homework, social/emotional development, college applications, etc.
· Plan and implement large scale events for students and families to facilitate and promote parent and family academic and social engagement and a healthy home environment
· Coordinate and lead National Days of Service including but not limited to 9/11 National Day of Service (September), Make a Difference Day (October), Martin Luther King Day of Service (January), and Global Youth Service Day (April)
· Maintain current data, including student sign-in sheets, My Service Hour Logs, Apricot data, student pre- and post-surveys
· Oversee and manage NJCDC’s Annual Holiday Gift and Food Drive
o Build new and strengthen existing partnerships
o Acquire donations
o Engage volunteers
o Assist in planning NJCDC’s Holiday Party
· Maintain professional standards including confidentiality, proper role modeling, and appropriate dress
Training and Evaluation
· Attend NJCDC and Program site meetings, in-service and training sessions
o Attend a variety of professional development opportunities offered through both NJCDC and in partnership with Passaic County Community College
· Attend events and trainings sponsored by the New Jersey Commission on National & Community Service
· Participate in mid-year and end-of-year evaluations related to program and personal improvement
PCSC Corps Member Benefits:
· Annual living stipend of up to $15,100 ($580 biweekly before taxes)
· Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of up to $6,345 at the completion of their term of service
· Loan forbearance on qualified Department of Education loans and interest payments by the National Service Trust after the completion of a term of service
· Health insurance through Cigna’s Corps Network health plan, including health, dental and vision care
· Child Care, if needed
· Up to 21 days of personal/vacation time
· Up to 340 hours of professional development and training
· Bachelor’s degree
· Proof of citizenship or permanent residency
· Pass drug screening, FBI/State background check, NSOPW sex offender check All interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.