NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
POSTING #: 21-00163
TITLE: Geologist Trainee ISSUE DATE: 6/25/2021
TITLE CODE: 12515 CLOSING DATE: 7/8/2021
DIVISION: Capital Program Management LOCATION: Ewing
UNIT: Bridge Engineering & Infrastructure Management
RANGE: P-95 SALARY: $57,089.26-$59,494.52
POSITION: One (1) WORK WEEK: 40 Hours
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) is seeking applications for candidates for the position of Geologist Trainee within the Division of Capital Program Management, Bridge Engineering & Infrastructure Management, Structural Design & Geotechnical Engineering. Geologist Trainees are assigned a 40 – hour work week. Current starting salary is $57,089
and $59,494 after six months. As a NJ State Department, NJDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health Care (medical, prescription drug, dental and vision care), Pension, Deferred Compensation, 12 paid holidays, and Benefit Leave (12 vacation days, 15 sick days and 3 administrative days). Standard workweek is Monday through Friday.
The Engineering Geology Section is responsible for oversight of all matters related to Engineering Geology, Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Subsurface Exploration on all NJDOT projects. The Section designs and reviews rock mechanic designs for all projects. The Section maintains a Rockfall Hazard Management System (RHMS) for all highway rock cuts on NJ State
and Interstate highways, and responds to emergency rockfall events. The Section oversees all geological/geophysical studies and geotechnical subsurface explorations conducted for NJ highway projects. The Section also maintains the Geotechnical Data Management System of all gathered subsurface information and provides Internet access.
Under supervision, the Geologist Trainee will:
• Learn the industry standards for performing subsurface exploration and the soil and rock identification systems currently used by this Unit.
• Learn to perform Quality Assurance field reviews of soil boring/rock coring operations and review data collected within soil boring logs, boring plans and reports.
• Learn to assist in geophysical and geological surveys.
• Learn the current methods for surveying and classifying existing rock cuts to perform surveys for the Unit’s Rockfall Hazard Management System.
• Learn to maintain records and files, using various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the Unit.
• Assist in documentation and review of subsurface exploration programs & contract submissions for geotechnical & geology – related projects
• Assist in gathering of field data for the Rockfall Hazard Management System.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree in Geology or a Bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by thirty (30) semester hour credits in geologic subjects areas.
LICENSE: Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey.
For more information regarding this position, please refer to: http://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/12516.htm
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. NJDOT does not provide sponsorship or accept student/OPT program, F1 or H1B work authorization visas.
Residency: All persons hired on or after September 1, 2011 have one year from the date of appointment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 52:14 – 7 (P.L. 2011, c. 70), also known as the •New Jersey First Act.•
You must apply through the NJDOT website at: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/employ/openings.shtm
Submit a complete packet by the closing date that includes the following documents:
• NJ State Application for Employment (Application and instructions can be found at link above)
• Letter of interest
• Current resume
• Copy of unofficial transcript OR foreign degree evaluation
Applying to Multiple Positions: If applying to multiple opportunities, only ONE application packet need be submitted.
List ALL posting numbers of interest in your letter of interest and in the body of your email.
Posting numbers should be listed as: “18 – 0000X”
Proof of Degree: You must provide transcript or evaluation of your UNDERGRADUATE degree. Foreign degree evaluation must be evaluated by a USA recognized evaluation service and include your course – by – course evaluation.
Incomplete Packets: Applicants MAY NOT be considered if they fail to provide all requested documents upon initial submittal or fail to follow instructions when submitting electronically. Applicants will be selected for an interview on the basis of their application/resume
Current State employees: Any appointments made that involve movement may result in a forfeiture of rights to any promotional lists in their former unit.
New Jersey Is An Equal Opportunity Employer