Interns will help hotel, restaurant, and gaming workers who are laid-off due to the pandemic find emergency work. This is a part-time position located in Midtown, Manhattan with opportunity for growth.
The New York Hotel Trades Council, AFL-CIO, represents over 40,000 hotel and gaming workers, the majority of which are immigrants and women. Hospitality workers have been devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has kept the majority of our Union’s membership out of work since March of 2020. Our Union has moved mountains to support our members during this crisis, negotiating 8+ months of free health insurance, winning over $500 million in supplemental income for laid off members, enforcing unparalleled COVID-19 safety protocols, and advocating for local legislation to enhance workers’ job security.
Most recently, we have developed robust resources for laid off union workers, including:
- a job search engine designed specifically for hotel, restaurant, and gaming workers
- resume and cover letter writing services
- housing grants for members facing eviction or foreclosure
We are looking for interns to join our efforts and help to administer these emergency relief programs. Interns duties include:
- Meeting with workers 1 on 1 and creating resumes and professional cover letters for workers
- Communicating with workers about the relief programs in-person, via social media, and through writing
- Assisting workers with navigating job search portals
- Helping individuals apply for the housing grant relief program
This is a part-time, in-person position with opportunities for growth within the Union’s communications, member mobilization, organizing, and political departments.
Strong candidates will possess:
- Strong computer skills
- Creative mindset
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- The desire to fight for working people
Extra consideration will be given to candidates who possess:
- Language abilities (especially Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Polish, Bengali)
- Overtime will be paid for any hours over 40 in a week