Invest in Your Future and Ours
The NewYork-Presbyterian Finance Summer Intern Program educates undergraduate students on the overall financial operations of a hospital. The program is designed for those who are interested in the business aspect of healthcare and eager to explore the many facets of healthcare management.
Summer 2022 Finance Internship Program – Patient Access
The program will expose students to Senior Hospital Administration both within and outside of Finance as well as provide them with real-world experience in the corporate world. The program intends to create a pipeline of talent for future full–time employment post-graduation.
What You Can Expect
The Internship is an 8-week program based in New York City starting in early June. At the end of the program, students present their project results to the Chief Financial Officer, Senior Leadership, Project Hosts and their Mentors.
Project work: Bring your talents to NewYork-Presbyterian to support projects focused on improving patient access within our organization. The Patient Access Department is where Finance meets Operations in welcoming/admitting our patients to the hospital. You will be teamed with a dynamic set of colleagues, working together to identify and address issues impacting patient access in hospital settings. Your role will be to analyze the current processes that support patient access and other performance objectives. You will be tasked to assist with operational planning, coordination, and registration processes at specific sites.
Mentor program: Each intern is assigned a mentor who offers support and guidance throughout the summer. Mentors are hand-selected from the Finance department and help mentees envision and take steps toward the careers they desire.
Hospital tours and volunteer opportunities: To put their project work in perspective, interns are given tours of the various NYP campuses as allowed and are given the opportunity to volunteer several hours a week at the hospital. Operational leaders explain connections to intern projects and provide the full picture of organizational activity.
Exposure to Senior Leadership: NYP leaders across many departments devote time to meet with the interns and share their personal stories, career paths, and invaluable professional advice.
Networking opportunities: From Meet & Greets to lunch sessions, the interns have many opportunities to partake in networking opportunities with employees across the organization.
Team building events: The program allows for creative ways to promote team bonding that fosters the culture of NYP.
The internship is designed for students with a distinct interest in the healthcare field. The internship is not intended for students who wish to pursue careers in investment banking or those only demonstrate a pure finance interest.
2022 Internship Dates: June 6, 2022 – July 29, 2022
- Majoring in Health/Hospital Administration, Finance, Financial Management, Business Administration and Management, or Accounting
- Genuine interest in finance and healthcare
- Completion of Finance or Accounting courses
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Exceptional communication, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Highly inquisitive, focused and proactive
- Good judgment and discretion when working with confidential information
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s Program
- Eligible candidates must be a rising senior undergraduate student who graduates in 2023
- Must have received the COVID-19 Vaccine