New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
New York Road Runner’s Marketing and Communications department is charged with managing the organization’s creative services, editorial, advertising, PR, pro athlete, broadcast and video, and digital operations. The team’s efforts build upon NYRR’s recent brand initiative and Run for Life platform as the organization seeks to tell the bigger NYRR story of huge positive impact; our ongoing focus on broadening our engagement with runners of all types; our efforts to strengthen our alignment with, and support of, our corporate partners; and our opportunity to unlock the power of our community in supporting our youth-and cause-related efforts.
About the Position
New York Road Runners seeks a motivated, enthusiastic, and organized individual to fill a leadership role on the Digital Marketing team as a Manager, Copywriting showcasing NYRR’s work within the community. Under the direction of the Editorial Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and overseeing NYRR’s voice and expression on all digital channels.
The Copywriter is NYRR’s lead writer for all our owned digital channels, including, but not limited to, our website, our email, our social media channels, and our video scripts.
- Work with the Editorial Director to define and redefine NYRR’s voice writ large, and how that voice changes and adapts across the various different channels across which we communicate
- Collaborate with colleagues within and beyond the Marketing Team to understand the priorities of the organization and craft language that supports those priorities
- Writing copy for our blog, social media accounts, our emails, and occasionally scripts for videos
- Use effective written and verbal communication skills applying sound judgment and business decisions in serving our community.
- 3-5 years of copywriting experience, specifically for social media and email
- Extensive experience writing both longer form content like articles and blogs, medium-length content like marketing emails, and short-form content like social media.
- Previous work experience in either non-profit advocacy, politics, media, or another fast-paced environment
Education & Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, English Literature, Creative Writing, or related discipline
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent written/verbal communication and time management skills
- A love of language and writing, but also a keen editor’s sense. You derive great joy from crafting a beautiful sentence, but you’ll heartlessly delete it if it doesn’t serve the purpose of the campaign.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- Must be a self-initiator
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
*To be considered, cover letters are highly encouraged.