New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, events, instruction and training resources, and free youth and community programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 200,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
The Youth & Community Program team oversees a variety of programs that offer the running community opportunities to actively support NYRR’s mission to help and inspire people through running. These programs include Rising New York Road Runners for youth, Striders for seniors, Run for the Future for high school young women and Open Run. NYRR Open Run is a free community run/walk program open to everyone across 20 parks with more than 5,000 participants.
About the Position
The PT NYRR Open Run Associate is the primary and most direct link to the community that takes part in weekly NYRR Open Run program that takes place on Saturday or Sunday (park dependendent). Associates are assigned NYRR Open Run park sites across the metro area to support to the program and related events. This position reports to the Head of Community Programs.
- Manage NYRR Open Run sites across metro area and schedule regular site visits a month to educate volunteers and participants, provide guidance on the program and assess program integrity.
- Maintain regular communication with Volunteer Captains and other volunteers who operate the events in your borough in person and via email and phone.
- Support posting of program content on each park’s Facebook Groups with events and other relevant information. Send out weekly emails to members of your Open Run parks.
- Collaborate with other PT Associates and management team to implement communication strategies that will increase awareness and participation at Open Run at all sites.
- Attend neighborhood functions and meet community leaders to find volunteers interested in leading or supporting their local NYRR Open Run.
- Assist with ongoing planning, recruitment and training for volunteers, including setting up meeting logistics and preparing presentations and materials for each site.
- Document and maintain equipment needs at assigned Open Run locations.
- Assist with the incentive distribution for volunteers and participants. Motivate participants toward achieving incentives.
- Support the management and communication of weekly run results on a timely basis.
- Maintain regular communication with NYRR Open Run team in person (as required) and via email and phone.
- Document all site management efforts and report all progress and issues to the Manager, NYRR Open Run.
- Assist in formal and informal testing of new systems and processes for program implementation.
- Work multiple weekday and weekend days a year at major NYRR and YCS events, in accordance with the youth events participation policy.
- Perform other tasks as needed by supervisor.
- Follow all operational safety guidelines set by NYRR Safety & Security team to ensure a safe Open Run environment for staff and participants.
- Communicate about Open Run to potential participants: sign up, pre-registration and safety processes.
- Administer all COVID-19 protocols in accordance with organizational policies
- Ensure runners are wearing masks, maintain social distance and practicing proper hygiene.
- Ensure full stock of PPE inventory and ensure safety equipment is operational and accurate.
- Community engagement experience is preferred.
- Event planning and management experience is preferred.
- Experience with non-profit programs is preferred
- Excellent communication skills to handle incoming calls/emails and direct inquiries to the proper party
- Expertise in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with administrative tasks
Skills and Attributes:
- Confidence in leading participants and volunteers through safety protocols
- Knowledge of NYC and Outer Boroughs preferred
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Forward thinking and solution-based mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Works well under pressure and tight deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Initiative to identify and offer suggestions for improvements or enhancements –
- General appreciation for living a healthy lifestyle
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required or willingness to obtain
- S. Center for SafeSport Certification required or willingness to obtain
- Travel to all current and potential program sites
- Work weekends as needed, to program events or as organizational events require