The Senior Analyst, Data Analytics & Insights will support projects that improve our organizational decision-making, business and program performance, and runner experience. With the Senior Manager – Organizational Impact, Evaluation and Analytics, the Senior Analyst will help to turn the volume of information we collect from race registrants, product/service lines, and other customers into actionable, useable strategic insights that enable us to increase our impact and reach…
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
The Strategy, Planning & Organization Operations team works collaboratively with all departments across the organization to support strategy formulation, growth plan execution, and project implementation. The team provides the organization with in-depth analytical support in evaluating existing operations and new business opportunities. Furthermore, they help lead and advise cross-functional project teams in executing the many action items/special projects that have been designed to help NYRR continue to reach its strategic objectives.
About the Position
The Senior Analyst, Data Analytics & Insights will support projects that improve our organizational decision-making, business and program performance, and runner experience. With the Senior Manager – Organizational Impact, Evaluation and Analytics, the Senior Analyst will help to turn the volume of information we collect from race registrants, product/service lines, and other customers into actionable, useable strategic insights that enable us to increase our impact and reach. This position will build and maintain dashboards (primarily in Tableau) that enable a culture of self-service data access and literacy, will manage ad hoc reporting requests, and will collaborate with organizational stakeholders and the Senior Manager to execute data analytics projects and share resulting business insights. This role requires (i) intellectual curiosity and an interest in searching for new insights into our performance and ways we deliver our offerings, (ii) strong skills in organization and communication of information, and (iii) will help to champion the strategic use and understanding of metrics across the organization. This job presents a unique opportunity to highlight information about our performance and operations, to drive our strategic goals, and to become a valuable member of the Strategy, Planning & Operations team that leads development of strategy for the organization.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Oversee Tableau dashboard development and maintenance; support various data analytics projects to drive decision-making and results; Ensure dashboards and reports are clear and compelling
- Collaborate with team members across the organization to understand their data needs, and make data solution recommendations based on best practices
- Provide accurate and timely responses to ad hoc data and analysis and reporting requests from various NYRR departments
- Share and communicate analyses and project insights to peers and senior leadership to enhance interpretation of results and promote data-based decision-making
- Execute data analytics projects, including performance of quantitative analyses (descriptive statistics, means testing, and multivariate analysis) and incorporation of qualitative insights as relevant (e.g. observation, focus group, interview, and textual data)
- Coordinate with IT to clean and merge data from multiple sources
- Collaborate with IT on data capture, queries and reports; perform usability and QA testing
- Create and update technical documentation outlining data sources and data extraction protocols
- Proactively identify/suggest areas for additional analysis and opportunities for self-service analytics
- In partnership with the IT team and Sr. Manager of Organizational Impact, Evaluation and Analytics, support data usage across the organization by developing systems and processes to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and usability
- Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience
- Proven success planning and implementing analytics strategies
- Experience modeling and analyzing large data sets; experience working with financial data desirable
Education & Certifications:
- Minimum undergraduate degree; advanced degrees a plus
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork, aptitude to work with a variety of internal and external constituencies
- Fluency with programming languages and software, including SQL, R, Salesforce and Tableau
- Strong planning, organization, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superb time management skills and a strong attention to detail
- Ability to guide others in using dashboards and interpretation of various metrics
- Ability to prioritize requests by cross-functional teams to maximize business impact and team efficiency
- Ability to see the big picture combined with a strong work ethic, initiative and tenacity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional, positive attitude
- Passion for NYRR’s mission
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
To be considered for this role, cover letters are encouraged.