New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
NYRR’s Development & Philanthropy department is responsible for the creation and execution of NYRR’s annual plan to secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. The department is responsible for expanding and diversifying the organization’s funder base, furthering the potential for future fundraising efforts, and the retention of the growing base of donors who share NYRR’s passion and commitment of helping and inspiring all people through running.
In addition to individual and institutional giving, the Development & Philanthropy Department is also responsible for NYRR Team for Kids, a team of adult runners who add meaning to their miles by raising funds for NYRR’s youth and community programs, and NYRR’s membership program, which is designed to enhance runner’s engagement with the running community and their experience at NYRR events.
The department closely collaborates with NYRR’s Youth & Community Programs Department, whose primary role is growing NYRR’s impact and reach through free programs serving the communities of New York City, and young runners across the country. The Youth & Community Programs Department is responsible for the planning, execution and promotion of Rising New York Road Runners, NYRR Run for the Future, NYRR Open Run, NYRR Striders, NYRR Youth Ambassadors and resources for athletes with disabilities.
About the Position
Reporting to the Sr. Manager of Team for Kids, this role will join the department to provide fundraising support to TFK members, oversee in-season team and alumni engagement, and serve as the marketing liaison.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Assist and motivate members to meet and exceed their fundraising goals
- Provide fundraising tips, advice, and incentives
- Develop best in class fundraising resources and materials to share with members
- Host fundraising clinics and provide personal fundraising consults
- Create and manage season timelines for in-season training teams, inclusive of training kick offs, socials, and race week events
- Coordinate with TFK Head Coach to ensure proper staffing and support is given to the TFK coaching team
- Collaborate with Senior Manager to develop and implement a strategy for TFK member engagement strategy, including current and alumni members with the goal of cultivating commitment to supporting NYRR youth and community programs and future fundraising participation with TFK, including but not limited to:
- Oversee TFK Mentor program designed to support the Fall marathon runners with fundraising and training questions
- Oversee TFK Alumni Speed Series Program serving as a weekly touchpoint for TFK alumni to stay connected to TFK and NYRR’s mission while running together
- Serve as team liaison to the Marketing Team, who will actively market and oversee TFK member acquisition
- Manage and grow the TFK social media community while driving increased levels of engagement and user generated content
- Partner with the marketing team to create an annual race schedule and an engaging and effective online experience for current and potential members
- Oversee the development and production of weekly team newsletters including training and fundraising tips, practice details and mission moments
- Provide general departmental administrative support
- Support the production of departmental events throughout the year, in both planning and execution (some evenings and weekends requested)
- Previous non-profit fundraising experience and track record of achieved goals, required
- Member Recruitment a plus
- Program and Community Management
- Knowledge of and passion for the running community preferred, but not required
- Previous marketing and communication experience required,
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience
Skills and Attributes:
- Fundraising and Member recruitment best practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter and high initiative
- Social Media and community building experience in professional environment
- Strong computer skills, including Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, required
- Ability to problem-solve quickly
- High attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and work with and across teams
- Ability to inspire participants and volunteers of various backgrounds