To evaluate, design, and estimate natural gas distribution facilities for new business, public and system improvement, and maintenance projects according to company standards and other applicable guidelines and codes. Natural gas distribution facilities may consist of main lines, service lines, and measurement regulation equipment. The Engineer will provide technical assistance and support for Construction and Field Operations staff involved in the construction, operation, and maintenance of distribution facilities. Collaborate and coordinate efforts with key stakeholders on large distribution projects.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure safe and reliable delivery of energy services at best cost
- Meet or exceed internal/external customer expectations
- Evaluate, design, and estimate natural gas distribution facilities
- Prepare safe/efficient high quality engineering designs and project documentation that comply with policies, practices, standards, and applicable codes in a timely manner
- Communicate effectively with key stakeholders and business partners
- Conduct post and pre winter operation system reviews are held
- Prepare detailed drawing, applications and easement requests
- Prepare budget estimates
- Track and report on project variances
- Support Operations employees in emergency and winter operations situations
- Review and troubleshoot completion reports and as-built drawings as needed to support capital close-out
- Provide training and guidance to new personnel
- Act as liaison to state, county, and local government officials
- Assist in contract bid requirements and documentation
- Maintain MAOP documentation
Required Qualifications for Position
- Bachelors degree in engineering curriculum from an EAC/ABET accredited college or university program.
- Obtain EIT certification within 2 years and P.E. license within 6 years of employment
- Demonstrated PC skills and software knowledge (e.g. Microsoft Office, AutoCAD)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Preferred Additional Qualifications for Position
- Masters degree in Business or Engineering
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Knowledge of company and industry codes, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures
- Previous gas distribution engineering experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of main and service line design, operation and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of measurement and regulation design, operation and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of cathodic protection principles and design, operation and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of maps and records analysis and interpretation
- Demonstrated knowledge of uprate planning and execution
- Demonstrated knowledge of MAOP calculations and documentation
- Demonstrated knowledge of tie-in and bypass planning
- Demonstrated knowledge of accurate cost estimating
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency support
- Awareness of capital budgeting and establishing investment priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge of materials/fittings and construction practices related to gas distribution
- Demonstrated knowledge of Company systems and technical business applications (e.g. DIS, GASCalc, GIS, WMS)
- Awareness of gas supply design and issue resolution related to gas distribution
- Experience working geographically dispersed
- Demonstrated Synergi Gas proficiency including Company approved modules (e.g. Area Isolation, Customer Management, Model Builder, Unsteady State)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated application of fluid mechanics fundamentals
- Demonstrated application of statistical theory
- Demonstrated knowledge of capital budgeting and establishing investment priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge of natural gas measurement and regulation design, operation, and maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of gas supply and issues related to gas distribution
This position is subject to applicable DOT Anti-Drug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Plan (AMPP) regulations, which includes requiring a DOT drug test.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NiSource is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in each of its companies to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, disability, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any protected group status as defined by law. Each employee is expected to abide by this principle.
Inclusion & Diversity
Value inclusion within your day to day responsibilities by respecting others perspectives/convictions, engaging others opinions, creating a safe environment where people, ideas, and opinions are valued within your Team/Customers and external partners.
Respect and take into consideration diversity within your Team/Customers and external work partners by valuing different world views, challenges, and cultures that represent all walks of life and all backgrounds.
Treat others with respect and consideration. Actively participate in creating and contributing to a positive work environment.
By applying, you may be considered for other job opportunities.
How To Apply
Do not apply for this position through Handshake.
For consideration, you must apply on-line at careers.nisource.com before July 28th!