The New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA) serves as the State’s principal agency for economic growth. The NJEDA drives inclusive and sustainable economic development by helping to build strong and dynamic communities, creating good jobs for New Jersey residents, providing pathways to a stronger and fairer economy, and implementing initiatives to strengthen New Jersey’s long-term economic competitiveness.
Within the NJEDA, the Office of Economic Transformation (OET) seeks to accelerate the growth of New Jersey’s economy by conceiving and implementing initiatives that enhance the state’s long-term economic competitiveness and establish New Jersey as an innovation leader within key strategic sectors, including:
- Life Sciences
- Transportation and Logistics
- Clean Energy
- Offshore Wind
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Finance and Professional Services
- Non-Retail Food and Beverage
The successful candidate will work with a team of highly motivated professionals who are passionate about promoting innovation in New Jersey’s key economic sectors. The successful candidate will perform duties that will assist the Office of Economic Transformation with the development and implementation of programs and initiatives related to Clean Energy and related initiatives. He/she/they will gain first-hand experience working in an exciting and fast-growing office within the state’s premier economic development arm and will perform important and meaningful work in helping create a stronger and fairer economy in New Jersey. Interns will receive exposure to supporting the development of a suite of clean energy programs, sector development policy, project and program analysis, building and maintaining stakeholder relationships, and interacting with numerous government agencies, private sector entities, and non-profit partners.
$15.00 to $16.00 per hr.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Interns support sector development activities, projects, and strategies at the discretion of the relevant Sector, to include but not limited to:
- Conducting market and policy research on assigned sector(s);
- Write policy memos to distill research, policy recommendations, and other information;
- Engage in stakeholder outreach to help develop sector(s);
- Develop a strong working knowledge of strategic sector(s) and the opportunities and challenges of growing them in New Jersey;
- Gain exposure to key parties in economic development and learn about public-private partnerships; and
- Assist the OET team through other project-specific and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative, and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff, and external customers.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Advanced skills in research, writing, organization, and data entry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and stakeholder relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Experience in event coordination and planning
- Strong initiative and self-starter attitude who is comfortable working independently
- Interest in renewable energy, sustainability, economic development, public policy, public-private partnerships, and/or government
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constrains with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must be a full-time or recent graduate student enrolled in a post-undergraduate program.
- Must be available to work part-time from October 12th through December 16th.
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Work location is remote
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
- Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.