The New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA) serves as the State’s principal agency for economic growth. The NJEDA drives inclusive and sustainable economic development by helping to build strong and dynamic communities, creating good jobs for New Jersey residents, providing pathways to a stronger and fairer economy, and implementing initiatives to strengthen New Jersey’s long-term economic competitiveness.
Within the NJEDA, the Office of Economic Transformation (OET) seeks to accelerate the growth of New Jersey’s economy by conceiving and implementing initiatives that enhance the state’s long-term economic competitiveness and establish New Jersey as an innovation leader within key strategic sectors.
The successful candidate will work with a team of highly motivated professionals who are passionate about developing and executing forward-thinking solutions to support New Jersey companies through the economic hardships created by the COVID-19 outbreak. . The successful candidate will perform duties that will assist the NJEDA with the development and implementation of COVID-19 response programs and initiatives. He/she will gain first-hand experience working within the state’s premier economic development arm and will perform important and meaningful work in helping New Jersey companies to cope with the current economic challenges and creating a stronger and fairer economy as New Jersey recovers from the COVID-19 outbreak. Fellows will receive exposure to economic crisis management policy, project and program analysis, building and maintaining stakeholder relationships, and interacting with numerous government agencies, private sector entities, and non-profit partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
COVID-19 Response Fellows support NJEDA’s COVID-19 economic response projects and strategies at the discretion of relevant Project Officer(s), to include but not limited to:
- Support COVID-19 response activities that will include, but is not limited to, the development of innovative PPE supply chain solutions to enable the safe reopening of the economy;
- Conduct market and policy research on assigned economic development and COVID-19 response topic(s);
- Write policy memos to distill research, policy recommendations, and other information;
- Engage in stakeholder outreach to help develop and advance COVID-19 response efforts;
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the impact of COVID-19 on strategic sectors in New Jersey;
- Assist the OET team through other project-specific and administrative tasks as assigned;
- Promote teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative, and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff, and external customers; and
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of key supply chain management principles
- Advanced skills in research, writing, organization, and data entry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and stakeholder relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Strong initiative and self-starter attitude who is comfortable working independently
- Interest in economic development, public policy, public-private partnerships, and/or government
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constrains with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program or have recently completed an undergraduate program
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Work location in Trenton or Newark, NJ
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
- Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.