Round Lake Camp serves children between the ages of 7 to 17 with a wide array of special needs.
As a general counselor you become a most significant member of the camp team designed to offer support and direction to the campers. Your duties touch all areas related to the camper’s time at camp – from the living situation in the bunk, to the playing fields, to the program activities, to the ways in which the campers interact with you, with one another and with other members of the camp community. The counselor helps strengthen campers’ sense of self, supports the development of socialization skills and helps to promote the campers’ independence.
I. Supervised by Division Head
II. Responsibilities Include
▪ Attend and participate in all staff-week training including preparation of divisional and bunk areas for camper arrival, as well as weekly staff trainings ▪ Assist campers with packing and unpacking of belongings
▪ Guide campers through daily rituals including wake-up, clean-up, bedtime and mealtimes
▪ Guide campers through special routines such as laundry and canteen ▪ Help with safety of campers by escorting them through the daily schedule, always being personally prepared to join in activities
▪ Act as positive role model at all times in terms of language and interaction with other campers and staff
▪ Support specialists by offering guidance and support to your campers as needed at specialty shops
▪ Support pool and lake staff by offering guidance and support to your campers while in those areas
▪ Assist with health issues by ensuring campers eat, sleep and dress appropriately ▪ Assist Directors and Division Heads by knowing information about your campers daily interactions and changing behavior
▪ Assist in creating evening program for your division
▪ Conduct bunk closure with campers before lights out
▪ Complete camper evaluations in conjunction with supervisory staff
▪ Participate in nightly on-duty schedule as set by Division Head or Senior Counselor
Learn more about Round Lake Camp at roundlakecamp.org