Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) strives to remain a catalyst for positive change through our equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) journey. This includes continuing to challenge ourselves and deconstruct frameworks of oppression by confronting our own biases and operationalizing our values, while building opportunities for learning, change, and accountability. We will integrate diverse perspectives and reflect inclusive and equitable behavior as we support and strengthen the Northern Virginia community.
The EDI Administrative Assistant will play a crucial role in supporting NVFS’ EDI Committee and its goals, specifically administrative-related functions, to ensure operational targets are met. This role requires collaborative work with EDI Committee participants and agency staff. Incumbent must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and interested in advancing the agency’s EDI initiatives and goals. The ideal candidate will have strong written and oral expression skills, a comfort with exploration and ambiguity, a compassionate heart, and a curious and open mind.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain responsibility for general administrative support functions.
- Schedule EDI Committee and Subcommittee meetings, agency-wide discussions, and trainings (coordinate with selected training vendor/s).
- Ensure all EDI-related events are posted to Agency calendar.
- Create and distribute monthly EDI Committee agendas.
- Attend and participate in EDI Committee and sub-committee meetings.
- Draft and disseminate meeting minutes.
- Track meeting attendance and participation records.
- Coordinate EDI Voice newsletter content and distribution.
- Work collaboratively on vision, direction and creation of each newsletter.
- Serve as liaison with all subcommittees to gather newsletter content in a timely manner.
- Assemble and disseminate newsletter.
- Monitor open and click-through rates for newsletters.
- Report out trends as needed.
- Establish ways to engage staff in EDI Committee’s work.
- Monitor EDI Committee inbox and respond to staff inquiries.
- Assist EDI Outreach & Engagement Subcommittee with outreach efforts including presence at program meetings, town halls, and special interest groups.
- Obtain ongoing feedback from staff.
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of EDI Committee’s new member orientation including dissemination of orientation materials, tracking attendance, and related outreach.
- Update EDI Committee materials (i.e. committee flyer, SharePoint site) as needed.
- Conduct electronic polling surveys.
- Remain abreast of agency-wide and committee-specific EDI goals and initiatives.
- Collaborate with agency Development and Communications team in support of newsletter content and creation of materials as needed.
- Participate in regular supervision with supervisor and provide regular updates.
- Enter data for record keeping and reporting to meet relevant guidelines.
Qualification and Additional Requirements: An individual may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform essential job duties.
- At least two (2) years of related experience in administration, program/project support, or a customer service role required.
- Passion for and experience with/exposure to equity, diversity and inclusion efforts preferably in a professional environment.
- Ability to communicate respectfully, clearly, effectively, tactfully and to a diverse population.
- Ability to establish and maintain trust, rapport and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to cater to various communication styles.
- Demonstrated ability to productively participate in a multi-disciplinary team environment working towards common goals.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive information.
- Ability to work comfortably within a complex, dynamic environment with multiple perspectives, participants and stakeholders.
- Willingness and interest in understanding frameworks of oppression, own biases, and have continuous learning mindset.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English (oral and written); additional language skills always welcome.
- Proficiency in usage of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, and internet required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and video meeting platforms required.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and learn new systems, NVFS-approved software and platforms. Experience with MailChimp or similar platform a plus.
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire.
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability.
Must demonstrate the following:
- One-NVFS mindset: mission oriented, see self as accountable to the organization, support colleagues in other programs and departments
- Team-oriented: collaborative, help colleagues and have shared responsibilities
- Communication: use effective written and oral communication with staff, teams and community served; demonstrate empathy and listening skills
- Flexibility: adapt and respond to change effectively
- Accountability: reliably deliver high quality work and assume responsibility for own work
- Client service orientation: seek to serve internal and external customers in service of the mission
- Technical expertise in area of focus: possess skills and expertise in area of technical or functional expertise
- Sensitivity to the diversity of the organization’s client base
At Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS), we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions. NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.