The Clock Tower Thrift Shop is a special program of Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) which offers affordable, unique, high quality goods to customers at affordable pricing. It’s is an important part of the NVFS agency, a nonprofit serving the Northern Virginia and DMV community for nearly 100 years.
The Cashier/Sales Associate provides quality customer service, is a collaborative team player exercising professionalism, and assists in promoting sales in order to meet daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals. Timeliness and reliability are crucial for smooth operation of the thrift store.
The Associate represents the Falls Church Clock Tower Thrift Shop and NVFS by effectively supporting the shopping needs of both new and returning customers. The Sales Associate will mainly perform cash register front of store operational duties, and may assist with other items or duties. Each donor, customer, and store volunteer has a meaningful role in supporting the NVFS mission and the Sales Associate plays a vital role.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create a superior customer experience by providing high levels of customer service..
- Process sales transactions ensuring accuracy of payment.
- Process merchandise following pricing guidelines.
- Process store donations according to established guidelines.
- Foster team environment with other staff and volunteers
- Work well in team environment with other staff and volunteers.
- May assist with other duties:
- Maintain orderliness of sales floor and store displays to ensure presentation of items and merchandise re visually appealing to support the customer / buyer experience.
- Engage customers, understand their needs, and learn sales and donation opportunities
- Assist in marketing efforts working in collaboration with the store manager and other staff..
- Assist manager with annual inventories as assigned.
- Participate in regular supervision with Supervisor by providing regular updates.
- Maintain current level of knowledge on NVFS programs and events.
Qualification Requirements: An individual may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform essential job duties.
- Related work experience in retail sales and customer service preferred
- Ability to use a cash register, calculator, credit card processing machine and make change accurately
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; Spanish language fluency a plus. Additional language skills always welcome.
- Proficiency in usage of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, and internet required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to communicate respectfully, clearly, effectively, tactfully and patiently in-person and on the phone
- Ability to work collaboratively with other thrift store staff
- Excellent at multi-tasking with solution-oriented and collaborative approach
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability
At Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS), we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions. NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.