The Helpdesk Support Technician is an integral part of the NVFS IT team and provides crucial support to NVFS staff who are located across various offices throughout Northern Virginia. The Helpdesk Support Technician is responsible for resolving tiers 1 and 2 support problems on client devices. The Technician will also provide support of hardware and operating systems, installation, configuration, and administration of workstations, laptops, tablets, cellphones, VOIP Phones and other network devices.
The Technician must be customer service oriented, exhibit task and time management skills, and be an effective communicator. The incumbent must also possesses exceptional problem-solving abilities, have technical expertise, and dedication to resolving problems effectively and efficiently while minimizing disruptions. The Technician must be able to successfully perform these responsibilities while complying with IT policies, procedures, and standards. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be working remotely while providing some essential services which may require occasional in-person and/or in-office work.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conduct routine on-site and remote support for staff and all NVFS office locations in the Northern Virginia area.
- Respond, troubleshoot, and repair components of the network, computers and printers.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for the following:
- Helpdesk requests;
- Creation and administration of user accounts on Active Directory, Exchange and Lync Management Console;
- Migration/recovery for hardware problems or hardware refreshes; building and deployment of hardware;
- Application software installation, configuration and troubleshooting of MS Windows and MS Office;
- Installation and maintenance of antivirus clients and definitions.
- Train users on new MS Windows and Office applications and proper agency computer and network usage.
- Respond to after-hours requests for computer & network maintenance and troubleshooting when required.
- Data and profile recovery.
Qualification and Additional Requirements: An individual may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform essential job duties.
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science preferred
- Experience with Windows desktop operating systems XP/7/8/8.1, Symantec Antivirus solutions, MS Office, and Outlook email account configuration
- Hands-on hardware experience with client computers, experience setting up printers, scanners, etc.
- A+, MCP or relevant certification required
- Designations in the following areas preferred: CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCDA, CAN, MCSA or MCTS
- Ability to communicate respectfully, clearly, effectively, tactfully and to a diverse population and through various modes including email and phone
- Exceptional customer service orientation and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English (oral and written); additional language skills always welcome
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours, including responding to helpdesk requests outside of normal business hours.
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire
- Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Windows based products
- Windows Desktop Operating Systems (XP Pro, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
- Windows Server 2003R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012R2
- Basic hardware including Dell/HP systems, CPUs, RAM, SATA, SAS, SSD, CD/DVD Readers/Burners, Printers, Scanners, etc.
- Telephony devices: Polycom Lync VoIP phones
- Basic local and network connectivity including troubleshooting TCP/IP, DHCP, NICs, DNS, USB, network drive mappings, etc.
- PC configuration distribution tools (e.g., SysPrep, Ghost, SMS, Paragon, Hiren, etc.)
- PDAs/smart phones from various vendors iPhone, Blackberry, Android and associated desktop management and synchronization software
- MS Office 2010/2013
- Outlook 2010/2013 including basic client-side email troubleshooting
- Lync Client and Server 2010/2013, Exchange 2010/2013, SharePoint 2010
- Symantec Anti-Virus programs and various anti-spyware utilities
At Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS), we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions. NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.