Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) is the provider for the Rental Subsidy & Services Program (RSSP), an integral component of the Fairfax County Housing & Community Development initiative plan and will provide long-term rental subsidies to homeless individuals and families and households on the county’s affordable housing waiting lists. Services offered will focus on populations of greatest need in the county with an emphasis on those experiencing homelessness and persons with disabilities. In addition to providing rental subsidies to eligible households, other components of the Program will include providing services that assist clients in achieving self-sufficiency including case management, housing location, employment, SSA benefits, and critical-time intervention all while focusing on an equity lens.
The Program Specialist performs complex and confidential administrative related functions to ensure assigned department operations flow smoothly. The Specialist will provide essential coordination and oversight relating to the administrative requirements and provide quality customer service to RSSP landlords, partners and participants. The Specialist will assist in ensuring that the program is ready to respond to all requests for data and audits. The Program Specialist is an integral member of the Housing Team and works collaboratively with all aspects of NVFS programs, representatives from Housing Departments, Departments of Social Service, local Continuum of Care (CoC), and representatives of other non-profit agencies and the faith community. This is a part-time position working 22.5 hours/week and will be working remotely.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain responsibility for general administrative support functions to the department to ensure efficient program processes and procedures in support of the Rental Subsidy & Services.
- Answer phone calls and respond to requests from clients, landlords, non-profit partners and county staff in a timely manner.
- Gather, verify, evaluate, and submit necessary social, financial, and medical information to determine program eligibility.
- Determine initial and continuing eligibility of RSSP households.
- Prepare workbook summaries of findings to be used in authorization of eligibility for RSSP, ensuring compliance with applicable programmatic, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Determine monthly subsidy payments.
- Maintain complete and accurate computerized and/or paper records of client eligibility and prepare reports as required.
- Ensure timely processing of applications to meet client needs and program mandates.
- Complete reinvestigations as required by program policy, to ensure continued eligibility for agency services.
- Explain and interpret agency policy, procedures, and rules to clients and other individuals.
- Inform clients of their rights and procedures for appeal.
- Compose, edit, proofread and distribute memos, letters and general correspondence as needed.
- Follow-up with clients, case managers and landlords as needed.
- Upon review of documentation, compile and prepare financial check requests for appropriate signatures.
- Maintain and perform data entry to ensure that clients are Ensure maintenance and integrity of database.
- Attend client case conferences.
- Maintain collaboration with Integrated Services Team & Community Support Services.
- Provide support in events planning.
- Prepare and assemble materials for various meetings.
- Maintains files in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- Participate in regular supervision with Supervisor by providing regular updates.
- Maintain current level of knowledge on NVFS programs and events.
Qualification and Additional Requirements: An individual may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform essential job duties.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least one (1) year of related work experience in administrative support preferred.
- Proficiency in usage of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, and internet. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Oral and written fluency in English; other language skills always welcome.
- Must have some knowledge of mathematics and accounting principles used in eligibility calculation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with a diverse client base and landlords, including interviewing and negotiation principles and techniques.
- Ability to appropriately assess various client cases and situations and determine most appropriate course of action to ensure conformity with established eligibility guidelines.
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability.
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire.
At Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS), we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions. NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.