The Human Resources Intern will directly assist the Director of Human Resources with a wide range of projects related to HR compliance, recruiting, onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, and policies.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. In this position, the intern will learn how to take skills she or he may have acquired in school related to his or her particular areas of interest and apply them in a professional setting.
He or she will gain a better understanding of the role that Human Resources can play in a non-profit setting and be better prepared to work in the arena of human resources and the nonprofit sector. The candidate will also have opportunities to see how the organization is maintained.
The Human Resources Intern will learn the practical application of:
- Steps in the recruiting and hiring process, including posting job openings, reviewing
- resumes, conducting telephone and in person interviews, making job offers and negotiating starting salaries.
- The importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management.
- The interrelationship of HR and Finance in the areas of new employee paperwork, payroll issues.
- Related to onboarding and termination, use of a payroll management database, and report generation.
- Current or recent enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in Human Resources, or non-profit management/administrative fields.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet applications.
- Student Member of SHRM a plus.
- Excellent Microsoft Visio and PowerPoint skills.
Desired Start Date: September 2021
Desired End Date: TBA
Hours per week: 14-21 hours