About the Internship
Northwest Youth Corps (NYC) is recruiting a Communications Intern to assist in the development and management of social media, website, and recruitment campaigns for Northwest Youth Corps and their suite of programs. The Communications Intern will develop more public awareness about Northwest Youth Corps’ ongoing programs and recruitment efforts to support those programs. The Intern will be exposed to a wide array of communications department activities, will develop a professional portfolio of work, and have opportunities for professional training and leadership growth over the course of the Internship.
The Communication Intern will be an active member of the Communications/External Affairs Department and will work to both showcase the various conservation programs we operate as well as help attract the next generation of conservation heroes by managing targeted content campaigns. The Intern will collaborate with other departments in the development and management of communications for NYC programs for the 2021-22 program year.
About Northwest Youth Corps
Northwest Youth Corps offers a challenging education and job-training experience that helps youth and young adults from diverse backgrounds develop the skills they need to lead full and productive lives. Our programs include residential conservation crews for both youth and young adults, local community crews, an internship program for college-aged participants, a fully accredited high school, and a two-acre organic farm.
Internship Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist in the management and creation of content for social media, websites, recruitment campaigns, promotional emails, and additional communications materials as needed.
· Assist in maintaining our social media channels by posting new content, responding to messages and comments, and updating Stories, Reels, or posts as necessary.
· Assist with online recruitment campaigns by creating and sending mass emails and publishing and managing content/position descriptions to social media, job boards, and similar webpages.
· Help to establish and coordinate a communications and recruitment campaign calendar to maintain consistency and accountability.
· Assist with the preparation, editing, printing of communications materials such as reports, brochures, fliers.
· Assist in the updating of company websites and online presence.
· Assist in managing company photo and media library.
· Assist in capturing photos, videos, and other media content from the field.
· Plan and create a communications project of their choice based on their communications career goals.
· Passionate about creating meaningful content with an eye for design.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor in-person and virtually.
· Excellent writer and proofreader.
· Must have completed a minimum of two years of college. Full-time availability (40 hours/week) is required for this position.
· Familiarity with social media requirements and restrictions when it comes to content creation.
· Experience with graphic design software or willingness to learn.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Willingness to learn new systems and software as needed.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion in all aspects of work.
- Appreciation for working with the young people in our programs and collaborating with project and community partners.
- Ability to represent Northwest Youth Corps and multiple project partners as an ambassador.
- Current driver’s license with a clean driving history.
- Successful applicant will be required to complete and pass a background check before starting their term of service.
Terms of Employment
40 hours/week and lasting 10 months depending on applicant availability. Internship to start in December 2021.
Internship will begin in a remote capacity until Northwest Youth Corps staff fully return to the office, COVID-19 conditions allowing. Once staff return to the office, the internship will be located at the Northwest Youth Corps headquarters in Eugene, OR.
· $600/week stipend, pro-rated into monthly payments.
· Health Insurance Coverage, with the premium 100% covered by Northwest Youth Corps
Application Instructions Below
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until November 28, 2021
Interviews: Will occur as qualified applications are received.
Service Dates Anticipated start date December 2021
Length of Term: 10 months, depending on applicant availability
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references and completely fill out the application form found at http://bit.ly/NYCInternApplicationForm
Please select “Northwest Youth Corps – Communications Intern” when applying.
If you have questions about the position, please reach Northwest Youth Corps Internship Program Officer Andrew Tagge at email@example.com or Northwest Youth Corps Communications Officer Peter Chesser at firstname.lastname@example.org.