Americorps Position Description
Second Harvest Food Bank- Nutrition Educator and Pandemic Response Site Coordinator
The SHFB Nutrition Educator is the point-person for integrating food distribution programs targeting specific demographics with Community Engagement. Under the direction of the Community Engagement Coordinator (CEC), the launch of “Youth INC” which is a youth-centered volunteering and professional development opportunity for 8th-12th graders. Nutrition Educator is also responsible for coordinating community and school site Food Distributions. The Nutrition Educator will oversee volunteers at distribution site and collect data on recipients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Creating and implementing a lesson plan for weekly workshops.
● Registering student volunteers at the Second Harvest Food Bank Watsonville agencies.
● Event planning for student volunteers
● Creating health-driven enrichment programs including cooking club
● Building teams of student-volunteers
● Developing partnerships with other outreach programs serving the Watsonville community.
● Organization of USDA and locally sourced food products at several Second Harvest Food Bank agencies across Santa Cruz County.
● Directing volunteers at the food distribution sites
● USDA participant information management- Collection of participant data for the dispersal of USDA products. Management of Master Data sheet for auditing purposes.
● Community engagement via creating distribution flyers, advertising sites through social media, and engaging volunteers.
● Recruitment of volunteers
● Strong oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
● Basic Graphic Design and online interface experience
● High energy, ability to work well with others (staff, volunteer, and students) and to foster a team environment.
● Attention to detail in data collection and reporting
● Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
● Knowledge of nutrition and life sciences
● Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
● Must have valid Driver’s License and use of personal vehicle.