About Notre Dame Mission Volunteers AmeriCorps – Seattle:
Notre Dame Mission Volunteers AmeriCorps—Seattle partners with local schools in Seattle. These include St. Therese Catholic Academy and Garfield High School. AmeriCorps members engage in service that ranges from youth mentorship, community outreach, and teaching. While in the NDMV AmeriCorps program, members will engage in bi-weekly meetings, professional development, and additional service in the community.
About the Position : Recess Monitor & After School Co-Coordinator:
St. Therese Catholic Academy (STCA) seeks a part-time Recess Monitor & After School Co-Coordinator beginning September 2021. STCA is a Preschool-8th grade Catholic elementary school in the Madrona neighborhood of Seattle, just 2 miles east of downtown. St. Therese is a welcoming, diverse, and faith-filled community that has been igniting the faith, minds and dreams of its students since 1927. The school currently serves 172 students ages 3-14, 40% of whom come from low-income backgrounds, and has around 30 team members. We are a small community with a family feel. This position will primarily work with students in intermediate grades (3rd-5th Grade), depending on skills and experience. We have similar roles supporting Kindergarten-2nd Grade and Middle School, but these are not set in stone.
Job Description and Expectations:
- Assist staff with supervision and monitoring of children during recess and other activities scheduled throughout the day
- Support children in classroom and/or 1:1 and small group settings during non-recess times
- Co-plan activities for students
- Communicate with lead teachers on a daily basis
- Communicate with team on a daily basis
- Communicate with parents as needed
- Discipline students using strong communication skills and a growth-mindset
- Model school core values for students (Faith, Respect, Responsibility, Perseverance, and Compassion)
- Other duties as needed as assigned by principal/coordinator
NDMVA Program Description:
Members serve for ~11 months beginning in September / October through the last week of July at a partnering organization. Service members receive up to $16,000 (pre tax) living stipend for the year distributed bi-weekly, an educational award of $6,345 upon completion of their year of service, and Health Insurance Available through CIGNA. Service Members also receive on the job training, opportunities for career development, and additional training and support provided by the PNW Site Director.