The Maintenance Mechanic will be responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing machines, equipment, physical structures, piping and electrical systems within the plant, as well as maintaining a safe work environment at all times.
Nylabone is a division of Central Garden & Pet. We are on a mission to lead the future of the pet industry. The Company’s innovative and trusted products are dedicated to helping pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. Since 1955, Nylabone has been making the world’s best chew toys, long-lasting edible chews, and dental solutions for dogs of every age, breed, shape, and size. Nylabone chews best!
As a Co-Op student at Nylabone, you will have the chance to develop unique transferrable skills, included but not limited to:
· Teamwork in a fast paced, high-volume industrial setting
· Mathematical aptitude
· Project management
· Safety procedures
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
· Responsible for the maintenance of all machinery to provide uninterrupted service.
· Ensures proper maintenance of facility machinery and building.
· Responsible for transferring knowledge to other mechanics as well as operations to enhance skillset.
· Uses power and hand tools to perform repair and maintenance work.
· Operates forklifts, dollies, and other basic loading and unloading equipment as required.
· Drives trucks to transport materials such as furniture, supplies, or equipment as required.
· Services equipment used by oiling, greasing, as required.
· May install and maintain fixtures and facilities.
· Help with equipment change overs, repair mechanical problems on equipment, replace air lines, water lines, rebuild cylinders and other duties as needed.
· Ensures operation of machinery by performing preventative maintenance on various types of equipment.
· Maintains safe work environment by complying with policies and procedures
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
· Enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or other relevant programs. (preferred)
· Enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Science or other relevant programs with overlapping coursework (preferred)
· Ability to read and interpret blueprints preferred
· Knowledge of building and equipment maintenance/repair techniques.
· Skill in applying building and equipment maintenance/repair technique.
· Skill in both verbal and written communication.
· Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
Work involves exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, and/or loud noises. Considerable physical activity requires heavy physical work including heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds.
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China, and Canada – all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier, and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.