Naval Medical Research Unit Dayton (NAMRU) conducts research on environmental health effects and aerospace medicine, addressing health and performance challenges faced by service members in operational military environments.
What will I be doing?
As a STEM undergraduate student at NAMRU, you will gain hands-on experience in human performance research to model the effects of wearing Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear personal protective equipment for extended periods while engaged in simulated shipboard operational tasks. These tasks will include include human subjects research data collection, research system monitoring, troubleshooting, and documentation. You will gain significant insight into research lab operations, applied engineering based tasks for warfighter performance, and research applications geared towards modeling and simulation. Additionally, you will learn about multidisciplinary, multi-university programs for human performance research, understand operational needs of the fleet and human system integration requirements, and engage in research in areas that are practicable and pertinent to the United States Navy.
Why should I apply?
This internship provides the opportunity to independently utilize your skills and engage with experts in innovative ideas to move the proposed research forward. There are multiple opportunities available to engage in your applied research and evaluation interests.
Where will I be located?
You will participate in research at multiple sites. Phase One is at Naval Medical Research Unity Dayton at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH from August 2021 to Oct 2021. Phase Two transitions to Aberdeen Test Center (ATC) at U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD from October 2021 to December 2021. The research schedule is considered atypical, with weekend, holiday, and evening participation required, and may consist of anywhere from 3-10 hours per day, and from 3-7 days per week. This research is 100% on-site effort; no remote participation is anticipated.
What is the anticipated start date?
Your anticipated start date is August 23, 2021.
What is the length of the appointment?
This ORISE appointment is full-time for approximately a four-month duration. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by NAMRU-D. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
You will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, you will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
Undergraduate student in an accredited engineering program preferably third or fourth year with a GPA of 3.3 or higher; desire and ability to collaborate in various environments (hands-on, laboratory, computer based).
- Use of hand tools, such as screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, hand drill/driver, wire strippers/crimpers, soldering iron
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Operate a digital multi-meter
- Familiarity with Arduino/ESP32 coding, Windows, Bluetooth communication
- Skills to troubleshoot and conduct electrical circuit board level repair of ESP32, soldering replacement resistors, MOSFET, sensors, wires, connectors, etc.
- Familiarity with sensors in use, such as switch, laser, timing gate, hall effect sensor, MOSFET, RFID, pressure sensors, LEDs; AC to DC voltage; USB to RI45 extender; serial communication for microprocessor board
- Operate within a team environment
- Clean and maintain instrumentation, equipment, and laboratories
- Be able to complete CITI training
- Good people skills for assisting with human subjects data collection
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree to be received by 5/31/2024 11:59:00 PM.
- Overall GPA: 3.30