Under the guidance of a mentor, participants will assist U.S. Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) faculty and staff in conducting research related to technical intelligence (TI) and Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR). Interns will be matched to specific projects based on their qualifications and career interests. Interns may contribute to research in one of several technical areas, including:
- Radiometric modeling and simulation (M&S) of scenes (such as view of earth from space platforms);
- Target signatures (such as missile plumes or aircraft heat signatures);
- Optical sensors (such as high definition visible or infrared imagers);
- Algorithm development for exploitation of remotely sensed data (such as detection of dim signals and automated target recognition);
- Implementation of machine learning (ML) techniques to remote sensing applications; and
- Laboratory and field experimentation using state-of-the-art hyperspectral and multi-spectral imaging cameras.
The Air Force Institute of Technology, or AFIT, located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the Air Force’s graduate school of engineering and management as well as its institution for technical professional continuing education. A component of Air University and Air Education and Training Command, AFIT is committed to providing defense-focused graduate and professional continuing education and research to sustain the technological supremacy of America’s air, space and cyber forces.
This appointment is a three-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by AFIT. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
Applicants should have a solid academic background in a research area that aligns with at least one of those described in the Project Description. Applicants should have a strong interest in furthering their STEM education at the graduate level.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 60 months or currently pursuing.
- Overall GPA: 3.30