Oasis – a Haven for Women and Children Incorporated is a Nonprofit 501 (C) (3) organization located in Paterson, New Jersey. We carry out educational and social services programs that help local women enter and succeed in the workforce and help children flourish academically. We also operate a soup kitchen and provide emergency food, clothing, and social support to city residents in need.
We are also pleased to announce that we are hiring Part-time After School Program Tutors for the 2021-2022 school year. Under the leadership and guidance of the After School Teacher and Assigned After School Coordinator, the Tutor will be responsible for supporting all functions of the After School program. The incumbent will facilitate academic assistance services to students who need remedial support. Program Tutors (in concert with Program Teachers) will work directly with an assigned group of approximately 20 students to provide a safe, responsible, well-supervised After School program while acting as a positive adult role model, coach, and mentor. Program Tutors must have a genuine interest in the growth, development, and provision of a safe, nurturing, and fun environment for the students they tutor. The ability to establish authority through leadership, communication, and most importantly patience, will be required in giving our students the stability and nurturing atmosphere they need to succeed. This position will be effect for the 2021-2022 school year (September 13, 2021-June 24, 2022, subject to change based on program needs). The incumbent will report to Oasis Monday-Friday from the hours of 2:30pm-6:15pm (17.5 hours per week, Part-time status).
- Delivers and provides high quality tutoring assistance and instruction to students in Grades Kindergarten through Grade 7 (ages 6-12) that supports and extends the school day
- Works in concert with and under the guidance of the Program Teacher to implement lessons and activities aligned with program goals to support the academic success and the social/emotional development of all students
- Lead small student groups and assist students in completing homework assignments and projects, test preparation, and support comprehension of academic concepts in all subject areas
- Daily set-up and prep of classroom, food, and materials ahead of program start
- Responsible for picking up enrolled After School program students daily from two
neighboring Paterson schools and bringing them to the Oasis location
- Execute daily student learning assessments for assigned student group
- Serve as an example for the children to emulate in behavior and conduct
- Dismiss children from the program, ensuring they leave with their caregivers
- Assist Program Teacher as needed; providing Back-up support in the event of any Teacher absences
- Possesses the technological capacity to utilize Google classroom and other hands on learning modules such as IXL
- Adheres to health, safety, and emergency procedures to ensure protocols are followed
- Follows schedule and maintains routine for students to ensure classroom order and safety
- Responds to incidents and program disruptions based on Oasis guidelines and procedures
- Create a professional and welcoming learning environment by modeling respect for students’ diverse cultures, language skills, and experiences
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Current college student – One to Two years of study from a recognized college or university, OR possession of an Associate’s degree. Strong academic standing in all disciplines.
- Two or more years’ experience working with children (ages 6-12) from diverse communities in a licensed childcare, camp, or educational setting
- Minimum of One year of tutoring experience in a similar setting
- Experience working in a culturally diverse community and adaptable and sensitive to students needs
- Must be able to work the entire duration of the program;
. Desired Qualifications:
- Bilingual in Spanish
- CPR and First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain;
All potential new hires will be required to submit to a multi-level background check (Fingerprinting and CARI check). Additionally, all newly hired After School Program employees will be required to attend a mandatory (Paid) Orientation training day on September 9, 2021 and professional development and staff meetings once a month after hours.
Interested candidates may apply through Handshake. Direct emails will also be accepted to: DANDREAWEST@OASISNJ.ORG. All paid, volunteer, and intern experience should be indicated on all resumes.