The Internship position will provide a wide range of support in all disciplines of the Accounting and Finance department in order to become familiar with compliance of Omni Hotels and Resorts accounting standard operating procedures and policies and to broaden the knowledge base of the hospitality industry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The candidate will assist each specific department within Accounting and Finance and be provided comprehensive training on standardized SOPs and technological platforms within those areas.
PRIMARY DUTIES OF THE FINANCE INTERN
- Accounts Payable
- Ensure that the processing of all invoices is completed properly.
- Train on the basics of the Birchstreet Purchase Order entry and reconciliation
- Reconcile vendor statements and solve any discrepancies.
- Basic input of Manual Invoice entries and AP filing
- Income Audit
- Train on the basics of Hotel operations income and revenue accounting functions
- Train on basic daily auditing procedures and principals of daily revenue and metric reporting
- Assist Income Audit staff with running daily reports or follow up with other departments.
- Provide basic spot inventory audits for Retail and F&B
- Staff Accountants
- Familiarize with Oracle GL systems and basic account reconciliations
- Understand basics of service charge reconciliation
- Utilize electronic Filebound system for Contract, COI uploads
- Follow up with vendors on proper Certificates of Insurance
- Cash Control
- Provide basic support to the General Cashier for Vault and bank spot audits
- Become familiar with and support cash SOP function including drop procedures, over and short reporting and variance controls.
- Audit operational banks
- Provide basic support to the payroll department but very limited.
- Food and Beverage Control
- Understand basics of menu theoretical reporting and menu cost outs
- Understand product mix sales reporting relationships to pricing exercises
- Perform F&B inventory spot audits
- Manager Functions
- Spend limited time with Accounting and Finance Management to understand advanced functions of Finance including Tax Filings, Financial Reporting, Internal Auditing, Reconciliations and System management
- Omni Homestead Functions
- Opportunity to volunteer at Homestead Functions
- Opportunity to support other operational departments during high volume periods to support operations of the resort
The Accounting and Finance Intern will be managed by the Controller
- Professional communication skills
- Proficient computer skills particularly Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Good telephone etiquette
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret written material such as general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations, etc. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively respond to questions from managers, clients, vendors and the public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, etc.
- Must have the ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations.
EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE
- Pursuit of an Acocunting and Finance degree with specific focus to Hospitality and/or Tourism
- Helpful to possess previous resort/hotel experience with computerized accounting systems.
- Proficient PC skills particularly with spreadsheet software (Excel) and Microsoft platforms
- Adept at learning new computer software and systems.