Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of race and ethnicity; U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; science and society; religion and public life; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of about 180.
Pew Research Center has an immediate need for a Research Assistant to support its portfolio of work related to the role of science in society. The successful candidate will be part of a team that studies attitudes about the impact of scientific research and innovation on society and how those views tie to behaviors. The research spans a wide range of science issues that raise important policy and ethical debates. Some examples of research topics include views about the coronavirus outbreak and vaccines to prevent COVID-19, Black and Hispanic Americans’ perspectives on science and scientists, views about climate and energy issues and emerging issues related to the uses of artificial intelligence and biotechnology.
The Research Assistant supports all aspects of the research. Responsibilities include fact-checking, proof-reading and background research to support the design and data collection of new research projects, statistical analysis, producing charts and tables, writing and editing research reports.
- Helping design survey questions
- Conducting background research and trend analysis
- Fact-checking and proof-reading
- Data management
- Creating tables and charts in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Statistical analysis of survey data
- Coding responses to open-end questions
- Assisting with writing research reports and blog posts
- Responding to requests for information
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Quantitative statistical analysis skills, including an ability to use SPSS, Stata or other statistical programs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and have an ability to maintain accuracy and impartiality in all work products
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Ability to balance numerous tasks simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines
- Interest in and familiarity with public opinion surveys conducted in the U.S. and cross-nationally is a strong plus
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in a social science field
- Experience with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with SPSS, Stata or other statistical software
- Familiarity with one or more scientific fields is a plus
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
- While this this position is temporarily remote, it is based in Washington, DC. During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may be remote until January 4, 2022. Starting in early January, The Center will begin operating in a hybrid telework model and staff will be expected to work in the office at least 2 days/week, and can work from home up to 3 days/week.
- Until the telework model is in effect, Pew Research Center can only employ candidates in the following states- California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin.
Applicant should use the link above to apply online. Please include a resume and cover letter indicating where you learned of the opening.
Pew Research Center is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
In addition to competitive pay, Pew Research Center’s employees enjoy a robust total rewards package that includes:
- Affordable, comprehensive health, dental and vision plans
- Generous paid time off, including paid holidays, vacation, sick, personal and family leave
- Up to a 12% employer 401(k) contribution, with vesting at the end of the first year.
- A robust wellness program that includes an annual allowance.
Pew Research Center makes employment decisions without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. We champion inclusion, diversity and equity, and we encourage applications from candidates who represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.