The Tooth of Time Traders is where the ultimate magic of Philmont comes to life through our gear, souvenirs and snacks, and our clerks are vital to delivering customer service that offers a distinctive shopping experience and drives sales results of over $3.5 million annually. While all positions within Philmont require working as part of a team to meet department and ranch objectives, your individual responsibilities as a clerk include demonstrating outstanding customer service and selling skills, keeping the selling floor clean and stocked with merchandise, or organizing the selling floor and using Retail Pro, our point of sale system to complete transactions with various tenders. You will report directly to the store assistant managers and manager.
- Provide and maintain a cheerful, helpful and efficient service to all Philmont guests. Insure that all participants have an enjoyable experience. When possible, solve their needs and concerns, when not possible, steer them to someone who can.
- Carry out the prescribed policies and procedure of the Philmont Scout Ranch as outlined in the Staff Guidebook and during staff training.
- Present oneself to every participant and guest clean, sharp appearing and correctly uniformed as described in the Staff Guidebook.
- Become familiar with all materials supplied prior to the camping season.
- Become familiar with all pertinent Philmont policies and procedures.
- Must be 18 years of age by time of employment.
- Must be Certified Food Handler
SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively communicate with customers, peers, and management.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Ability to use a calculator and calculate percentages and ratios. Must be able to make change in American monetary units.
- Ability to multi-task, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the needs of the store. Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative independent of direct supervision.
- This position involves constant moving, conversing, listening, reaching, grabbing and standing for at least two consecutive hours. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
- Involves lifting at least 30 lbs.
- Enthusiastic, friendly, and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet and make a connection with customers, ask questions and listen to shoppers’ needs, then give options and advice on meeting those needs.
- Inspire the customer to buy, celebrate the purchase, and create a lasting positive impression of you, Philmont, and the purchase.
- Maintain selling floor presentations, and restock them as needed
- Learn Philmont’s point of sale system, Retail Pro, and the procedures for sales, all tenders and returns.
- Assume accountability for all monies you handle.
- Balance cash registers with receipts.
- Handle all returns courteously and professionally.
- Maintain a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm reflecting Philmont’s commitment to our customer.
- Be knowledgeable of and perform sales support functions related to POS procedures.
- Ensure that fitting rooms are ready for customers by promptly clearing merchandise and returning it to the proper area of the selling floor.
- Develop product knowledge by attending vendor clinics, passing tests and reading current vendor tags and pamphlets in order to communicate it to the customer. • Advise customers on care and utilization of merchandise.
- Advise customers on any service or product they need information on. • Maintain good housekeeping standards.
- Adhere to Loss Prevention and inventory control and compliance procedures.
- Assist with inventories, merchandising, and monies as assigned by the Manager.
- Complete assigned rotating shifts in base camp Cantina, including serving snacks, restocking and maintaining cleanliness
- Perform other related duties, special projects or assignments as required.